Hello! My name is Kate, and I am an incoming fourth year accounting major here at Fisher. This summer, I am interning at Cardinal Health in Columbus, Ohio. I am a finance intern within the SEC Reporting department. And because Cardinal Health follows a June 30 year-end, I get the privilege of partaking in the 10-K preparation process!
I have now successfully completed the first two weeks of my internship, which were mostly a whirlwind of absorbing information about the company, meeting other interns, and trying to find my desk in the maze of cubicles.
Another employee at Cardinal suggested that I compose a set of expectations and goals for the summer. That way, at the end of my internship, it would be easier to do a self-assessment and analyze all the things I accomplished. I figured it would also be a good way to put pen to paper and write down some things I wanted to learn over the summer.
Here is what I hope to get out of my internship:
- Learn how to use one new software program
- Partake in the 10-K annual report process
- Establish a process to implement new accounting leasing standards
- Present new accounting standards to finance department leadership
- Network with other interns and full-time employees
- Learn more about the audit process
- Meet the CEO (all Cardinal interns get to do this!)
Stay tuned to see how these expectations play out in the weeks to come!