Packing for Your Internship…ABROAD

Hello Everyone!

My name is Sarah Bowe, and I just finished my second year at OSU. I’m a Marketing major in the Fisher College of Business, and this summer I secured an internship with Shorts International through the Summer Global Internship Program here at Fisher. They are a company specializing in short films, and I’m super excited to be working for them because I want to do entertainment and media for my career in the future. I will be working for them in London, England for all of June and July. See this link if you’re interested in learning more about my company: https://shorts.tv/corporate

This is my first post, and in all honesty, it’s probably going to be the longest because I’m going to detail how I packed for TWO WHOLE MONTHS in not much more than a carry-on and backpack.

1. My carry-on luggage
Fig. 1: Carry-on outside view

• Fig. 2: Carry-on inside
    Fig. 3: Carry-on inside unzipped

My carry-on luggage is the best thing ever–honestly. It’s a Brookstone that my aunt got me for my birthday, and I love it. I’ve already taken it on several trips and it’s so great. It’s so light, easy to move (the wheels move so effortlessly it’s ridiculous), and it fits SO MUCH STUFF. Here’s the link if you want to check it out more in-depth for yourself: http://www.brookstone.com/pd/DASH-4-Wheeled-Expandable-Carry-On-Luggage/315221.html?bkeid=compare%7Cmercent%7Cgooglebaseads%7Csearch&bkeid=compare%7cmercent%7cgooglebaseads%7csearch

Here’s everything I was able to put in my carry-on as seen in Fig. 2:

Also, ROLL YOUR CLOTHES!!! Saves so much room!

• 8 nice tops for work
  • a trench coat
  • a light jacket
  • blazer
  • black dress pants
  • blue dress pants
  • 2 pairs of jeans
  • 2 bras (1 strapless, 1 black)
  • jewelry
  • 12 pairs of underwear
  • 3 casual tops (kinda like graphic tees, not for work)

Everything seen (and not seen = buried) in Fig. 3:

Okay… So I listed everything that I was able to pack in my carry-on luggage. Now, lucky for me my family and I are going over to London a week early for vacation. Because of this, my mom bought another large luggage so that I can have more room for when I come back (I’m obviously going to buy things while I’m there… I’m a shopaholic…oops). So, because I had a little more room, I put some overflow in this luggage, but not much.

2. Larger (checked) Luggage

Fig. 4: Larger Luggage

In this luggage, I put a couple overflow items:

• light rain jacket
  • nude heels (short height for work, bought at Payless)
  • another pair of jeans (ripped, not for work, just casual)
  • outlet converters (a MUST for your international travel! Amazon, super cheap)
  • hairbrushes (one large, one comb, one teasing comb)
  • cosmetic things (my razor, tweezers, acne products, perfume)

Items that I would have bought in London, but because I’m checking this luggage, I packed them to save money:

• facewipes
  • feminine hygiene products
  • contact solution
  • hair products (heat protectant, leave-in conditioner)
  • my mom also put a lot of snacks and food in this bag to have for our apartment when we get there (We are doing Airbnb)

3. My bookbag

Fig.5: Bookbag
Fig. 6: Makeup case
Fig. 7: Makeup Case Opened

In my bookbag I’m packing the following:

• laptop (with charger, and wireless mouse for work)
  • iPad
  • Folder with important travel documents (also, I put copies of the most important things, my passport/visa/COS/driver’s license/insurance card in each of my bags)
  • Coach wristlet (wallet, containing passport, cash, credit cards, etc)
  • ziploc of my medications and other important things like contacts
  • sunglasses
  • prescription glasses
  • more meds (Aleve, NyQuil/DayQuil, Tums, cough drops)
  • chargers (iPhone, Fitbit)
  • headphones (iPhone and Beats)
  • Kleenex
  • EmergenC
  • hand sanitizer
  • travel pillow for the plane
  • extra outfit (yoga pants, tee shirt)
  • toothbrush
  • my makeup
    • foundation, applicator, powder, contour kit, eyeshadow primer, eyeshadow, eyeliner, mascara, lipsticks, makeup brushes

4. My Outfit for the Trip

Fig. 8: Travel Outfit

I’m wearing a Fisher College of Business (gotta rep) tee-shirt, a hoodie (didn’t pack in my luggage because it’s big, and also wanna be comfy on the plane), Victoria’s Secret Sport yoga pants, socks, and my Nike tennis shoes (which will double as my workout shoes when in London).

Okay! We made it! This is everything that I packed… it’s a lot.. I know. But TWO MONTHS! I think I did pretty well. One note I would like to make is that I DID NOT pay a lot for the things I bought for this trip. I like to think I am a bargain shopper. For example, I LOVEEEE the Tanger Outlets in Columbus. They have super great deals. I got my Coach wallet, Aldo pumps, and lots of my business clothes there (I love Ann Taylor and Loft for clothes). Marshall’s and T.J. Maxx are great too! I got my Nine West bag there for $30.

Preparing for my internship was stressful, but it was also super fun! If I can do it, YOU CAN DO IT!

XOXO,

Sarah Bowe

Sarah Bowe

Sarah Bowe is a Fisher Marketing major graduating in December, 2018. She is an Operations Intern at Shorts International in London, England.