Getting an Offer

Some companies have a structured system for how they treat internships during the actual internship and after the internship in the form of giving offers.  For example, (and I know this from living with two P&G interns) P&G will contact their interns going into their senior year of college to let them know if they are getting a job offer or not (the timing of the call is different depending on the department).  At P&G, there is a structure on how to handle all of the talented interns that just finished their summer at P&G.  At Luxottica, there’s no structure.  There’s no formal offer/offer call and getting an extension for your internship fully depends on the brand team that you are on. At companies like Lux, it’s completely on you to take the reins and steer the conversation toward full time employment if that’s something you are interested in.  Here’s some tips on how to do that:

1. Ask your recruiter or your contact in HR when they normally do recruiting for full time hires. Recruiters are in charge of filling any opening throughout the company.  Getting to know people in the HR department and letting them know you’re interested is a good first step in getting a full time job.  Make sure to ask your recruiter how often you should keep in touch with them and what you can do in your senior year to make yourself more marketable.
  2. Bring up the full time hire conversation with your manager. Your manager knows your work better than anyone else at the company and is the best reference to recommend you to get an offer in your department or to recommend you to someone in another department in the company.
  3. Keep in touch. This is the tip that seems the most obvious, but it’s one that you can easily forget to do as time goes on.  The HR professionals that I met with throughout the summer recommended sending out an email to HR once a month and an email to your manager once every one to two months to stay in contact.  It’s even better if you can connect your email to something that relevant with the business.  For example, from my work this summer, I know that I certain marketing campaign will take place later in the year, so when I email my manager I’m going to be sure to ask about that campaign.