Looks like another great summer in the books. I can’t decide if I am more surprised by how much I learned this summer or by the fact it is already over. Within the next 24 hours I will be turning in my badge, returning my laptop, saying my final goodbyes, and receiving my final performance review (wish me luck!). Tomorrow is the last day, but I feel as though I have so much more that I would like to do. Even during my last week, I have had my hands full with new things!

This week I received the amazing opportunity of attending a Toastmasters International Meeting. For those who are not familiar, Toastmasters is an organization that centers on communication and leadership. To my surprise, Toastmasters operated almost identically to Just A Minute, or JAM, at the Ohio State University. The Toastmaster’s meeting I attended covered table topics. A table topic is when a Toastmaster member is selected to speak on a randomly selected subject. After many more senior members presented, I worked up the courage to give it a whirl. Through some gift of grace, I was given the word sunset. For some strange reason I had some very eloquent, poetic things to say about a diminishing sun. At the conclusion of the meeting I was blown away when I was awarded Best Table Topic (see trophy below). I feel very proud and humbled at the same time. When I begin to work fulltime in a few years, I would love to find a local chapter of Toastmasters and consider competing on a district level! It was really fun.

Screen Shot 2015-08-13 at 12.46.36 PM

In addition to Toastmasters, I also had the privilege of hearing from Beth Mooney, KeyBank’s CEO. Mooney has been famously quoted saying “I hope that when I’m done the fact that I’m the first woman CEO (in banking) isn’t a headline but is relegated to the footnotes, because that will mean others have followed.” When I heard from Mooney this morning, I was lucky enough to ask her thoughts on how others can follow. She provided genuine insight to bringing your best, authentic self to work and always reminding coworkers and bosses that you are here and you want to be a part of every solution. Hearing from Beth Mooney after briefly meeting her earlier this summer was the inspirational cherry on top.

In general, I could not have dreamed of a better internship after my sophomore year. I was unsure of my abilities and what the internship would be like, but I have walked away with so much experience and confidence. I can hardly wait to return to campus as a junior to continue to challenge myself and grow. I want to say a big thank you to all the amazing people at Key that made my internship experience what it is.

Screen Shot 2015-08-13 at 12.47.56 PM

Opinions expressed are those of the speakers and do not necessarily represent those of KeyBank.