Point of No Return

This past weekend I visited Cedar Point for the first time in ten years. While at the park, I decided that I would work up the nerve to ride Top Thrill Dragster. After waiting in line for an hour and a half, I was shuffled closer and closer towards the cars. That’s when the anxiousness set in. Before I knew it I was strapped in the car and out of the loading station ready to be launched over 400 feet into the air at record speeds (120 mph). At that moment, I experienced the point of no return. I had crossed the threshold and there was no going back (regardless how terrified I was).

This week during the internship I experienced a similar point of no return. Thankfully my managers did not launch me 400 feet into the air or send me off at 120 mph. This point of no return surrounded a case study that the interns and I had been working on since the moment we joined Key in early June. The case encompassed four different hypothetical prospect companies that Key was interested in. We were tasked with deciding which prospect was most attractive for a partnership or a merger. The RRG interns were broken into two teams for this project. We named our team Risk Team 6 (in reference to Seal Team 6 – because we’re that good). Throughout the past 8 weeks we worked diligently to bring a presentation together.

At last, on Monday, the big day arrived! In addition to our case being the capstone of our internship, the entire risk leadership team was in attendance including the General Auditor Kevin Ryan. After working on this presentation for 8 weeks, we embarked on our final journey as a team. As we approached the presentation room, my heart began to race. To our nerve’s demise, we were selected to go second. While we waited outside the presentation room, I couldn’t help my mind from wandering back to Cedar Point. I remembered the way I felt as I inched closer and closer to the ride. I recalled the way I felt when I was strapped into that wild ride and just waiting for my turn. While I was waiting for my turn to present, I again experienced that point of no return. We had already completed our research, built our slide deck, and practiced our presentation. We were strapped in and just waiting for someone to pull the trigger.

The minutes passed by like hours, but our turn to present finally came. Our deliverable went off with only a few hiccups .We received positive feedback and insightful questions. Just like my anxious experience on Dragster, our team survived and thrived.

These experiences have thoroughly resonated with me as I reflect on my internship. I encourage anyone who is reading this to never let your fear hold you back from anything. Whether it is flying by at high speeds or impressing the entirely leadership suite; never let your nerves hold you back from anything. It doesn’t matter how old you are, or how much experience you have, or where you come from, if you trust your intuition and silence the self-doubting voicing in your head there is no limit to what can be accomplished.

Check out some of this week’s intern fun:

intern
Intern Lunch at Carrabbas

Intern 1
Interns at the Rock Hall!

intern2
Interns at the Indian’s Game!

Opinions expressed are those of the speakers and do not necessarily represent those of KeyBank