3 Characteristics of Small Businesses

Every internship experience is different. My experience so far this summer has been very unique. Working for a small, local business allows me to view many requirements it takes to start-up and run a business with not a lot of people.

1. You wear many hats.

Since there aren’t many employees, every day work can be a hodge-podge of “to-do’s” . As a marketing intern, I have helped pour, keg, and can beer. Canning beer is a long process and you feel like a factory worker, but you can drink during it so it’s not so bad. I’ve also taken out the trash and cleaned up a bit. Taking out the trash isn’t just the intern’s job though, I’ve seen the owners of the company empty the garbage. Everyone chips in.

2.You are still trying to figure it out.

There aren’t instructions on how everything is supposed to run because it hasn’t happened before. You aren’t sure on how an event will go, because it will be the first one. There  are a lot of trials and errors when putting on an event or making a new beer. My first event I planned at the brewery was everything but a success, but I learned a few tricks for the next event. You’re not going to know how the customer will react to a new product until they try it, so you just have to wait and find out.

3.Fun Atmosphere

One thing’s for sure, it’s a fun place to work. Everyone is working towards the same goal of trying to build up the company. There isn’t much competition to be promoted since everyone has their own specific role. You become very close with your co-workers because there are so few you. Work hard, play harder seems to be the motto of start-up businesses, despite the industry.