Week 2 – Fun Day and Project Time

Hello again,

They say the retail industry is fast-paced, and I can definitely attest to that because week one flew by fast. Two main things happened this week for me: A King’s Island fun day and getting assigned my project. 

1. King’s Island Fun Day
    I cannot stress the importance of getting to know your leadership team and the people you work with.  This was one of my goals this week, and it came at the perfect time because my entire leadership team and I went to King’s Island for a fun day! It was a great opportunity to connect with people in a non-professional setting, and to learn more about each other on a personal level.
    kingsislandAsk a few simple questions and let the conversation take itself from there. Here are a few simple questions that I personally like asking:- How long have you been working at ______?
    – How did you get into the ______ industry?
    – What is your greatest piece of advice that you can give to someone new to this industry/company?

And make sure to share about your passions and experiences as well! You will be surprised at how willingly people are towards listening to you. This has made for some great conversations for me, and it has allowed me to feel more a part of the family at Macy’s.

2. Project Time
    This week I also got assigned my biggest project for the summer. I will be working on a benefit program that Macy’s offers and give a final presentation at the end of my internship to the district executives, my VPSM (Vice President Store Manager), and my mentor. The goal of this project is to establish an action plan that will drive participation towards the use of this program which then should translate into sales. In order to achieve this goal, I will have to get my team on board with the plan and mentor them through coaching strategies. My conversations with my team of sales associates is going to be crucial in driving this initiative.Macy’s is all about people working for people. And this idea is engrained through coaching and mentoring at Macy’s. You never coach through numbers, but instead, you coach through behaviors. One thing that I have learned is inspiration comes from example. Here are a few helpful tips that I have learned when placed in a position to lead and inspire people:
    – Have a clear goal and a reasonable approach to achieve it
    – Recognize contribution
    – Begin with what is working, then build on it
    – Focus on the strengths of each person instead of weaknesses
    – Clear hurdles that are in your team’s way
    – Roll up your sleeves, show your team that you can contribute
    – Recognize your team every week
    – Inspire your team by keeping your commitments to them
    – Show and communicate your progress towards your goal
    – MAKE IT FUN.

Hope this week’s post provided some good insights for you guys! I look forward to sharing more of my experiences for next week. I will end on this quote that I saw earlier this week which spoke to me:

“You gotta skate to where the puck is going to be, not where the puck is now.”

Until next week, enjoy and take care!

– Justin