What its Like to Work at J.P. Morgan

It’s hard to believe that 4 of my 10 weeks of work at J.P. Morgan are already complete. Coming into the job, I had some expectations about the kinds of people I’d be working with, what the job would be like, and how I would like it, yet every day I am still so fascinated and amazed by what happens in the headquarters of the biggest bank by assets in the world. My expectations are continuing to be exceeded, and I love everything about my job.

To start, it’s amazing how smart every single person I work with and meet is in this company. There is so much to learn every day about finance, about the bank, and even about your career and what it takes to be successful. The bank also really encourages employees to build a wide network within the company and spend time getting to know people, and I’ve done so by getting coffee with 3 different people in the company every week. It’s also inspiring how proud people are to work for J.P. Morgan, and I’ve come to appreciate even more what it means to work at a firm that is so systematically important in the global economy. By working here, I feel as if I am a part of a family in that people care about each other, want to see each other succeed, and always do what’s right and best for the company rather than for themselves. Regardless of where you work, getting to know the people in your group, on your floor, and those who are doing roles that may interest you is important in showing you care about your role and are committed to working well and succeeding with the people around you. People are impressed by an intern who isn’t shy to get to know people and is eager to learn.

I’ve also enjoyed the high level of responsibility I’ve been given as intern. I may only be here for 10 weeks, but everyone knows that I’m really aspiring for a full time job offer, and I am treated and expected to act like a first year analyst. I’d imagine this is similar for a lot of rising seniors doing internships, and it’s important to understand that while the stakes are high and you’re learning so much so fast, it’s okay to make mistakes, and your co-workers know that you are adjusting and learning every day. With that, it’s also important to try to learn as much as possible about how the first year guys are doing their jobs, since ideally you’ll be doing it when you graduate. A great habit is to carry a notebook literally everywhere you go in the building and write down as much as possible. People take notice when you write things down and show you won’t forget things and won’t make the same mistake twice. I also think it’s important to be confident in your talent and don’t be shy to speak up or ask a question. At JPM, I’ve definitely felt intimidated at times by all of the smart and successful people, but overall I know I’ve earned my spot here, and to earn one for after graduation I need to be sharp and on my game at all times.

Overall, I couldn’t be happier with my internship experience thus far at J.P. Morgan. I’m excited to continue learning, continue getting to know people in the firm, and continue to put my career in the direction I want it to go in. I feel blessed to have the opportunity to work for such a great organization, and I’m convinced that if I receive a full time offer at the end of my internship, I would definitely accept it and work here after graduating from Ohio State.

Thanks for continuing to follow my journey this summer. I’m excited to continue to share some of my experiences in the greatest city in the world with you all!

Nick