Life at Macy’s – Week 1

Hello friends,

Wow, I can not believe I have finished a whole week at Macy’s already! This has been one of the most hectic weeks yet. Last week I was wrapping up my trip in Taiwan, which looked somewhat like this:

One of my favorite pictures that I took in Taiwan, a view of Taipei 101 from the top of a mountain.

And this week, I am placed into a manager role at a Macy’s store through the internship program, going through the on boarding process and preparing for our biggest one day sale of the season. Talk about a change in lifestyle.

I am official!
I am official!

But overall, my first week has been great. I have been a sponge soaking in new information every single day. The first couple of days I got to meet and know my leadership team, who all gave me a warm welcome into the Macy’s family:

Learning from a group of individuals who all have a wealth of knowledge about Macy's and the retail industry.
Learning from a group of individuals who all have a wealth of knowledge about Macy’s and the retail industry.

Additionally, I went through the training process to prepare for my role at Macy’s. Macy’s prepares its employees well with valuable training through CBT (Computer Based Training) and on floor training to fully understand Macy’s and how their business operates. What I truly love about Macy’s is how goal oriented and results driven they are. Everything is about sales and numbers here, and Macy’s breaks it down into the finest and most important details. This is a big reason why I believe they are one of the largest and most successful retailers in the nation.

Now let’s talk about my specific role here at Macy’s. I am in a manager position where I get to manage a whole department floor alongside with my mentor. On the first day, my Store Manager informed me that I would be working in women’s ready to wear, sportswear, and petites for the next 8 weeks. You should of saw my face when I heard that. “Ohhh.. really? Awesome..!” I probably said something along those lines. Personally, I have no clue on anything related to women’s fashion, clothing, or anything in between. But I was ready to take on the challenge and learn as much as I can. Once I got all of that figured out, I began walking the floors with my mentor in our department over the next few days to understand how everything works and operates. I also got to meet my entire team of sales associates, who are all awesome and hardworking people! Additionally, we began rearranging merchandise on the floor to prepare for Macy’s One Day Sale event this weekend, which accounts for a huge percent of our sales for just this month! I guess I came in to the right place at the right time. So far, all of this accounts for Monday – Thursday. Friday began our One Day Sale event, which really is two days because it goes on until Saturday.

Friday, Macy’s One Day Sale Event!
I was informed on Thursday that I would be managing my department all by myself without my mentor from 8:00am – 1:30pm on one of our biggest sales events. I was more than excited for this challenge, because it finally gave me an opportunity to take all that I have learned into play. At the start of the day, I got in early to touch base with my entire team of sales associates to make sure they know our expectations for the day. I wanted to engage with them as much as possible before customers started rolling in. We went over goals, strategies, and expectations. The next 5 hours were so rewarding and I was able to learn so much. I interacted with customers, rotated around each station to make sure everything was running smoothly, and just assisted my team with anything needed. This experience allowed me to see how each individual on my team was different, which gave me an idea on utilizing talent to create the most value out of everyone. For me personally, it was about figuring how I can better assist them, motivate them, and create a positive environment for them. We had a manager meeting in the afternoon to look at numbers. I was so happy to hear that my department was driving results and meeting our goals. My mentor even wrote me a Macy’s MAGIC Maker card which rewards its employees on the hard work performed:

Hard work and good work should be rewarded, and that's what Macy's is all about.
Hard work and good work should be rewarded, and that’s what Macy’s is all about.

To sum it all up, Macy’s has been great to me and I love this company. I know these next 7 weeks are going to fly by, so I am ready to make the most of every opportunity I get!

Biggest Takeaway From Week 1:
Get to know your team first before anything else. Ask them how they are doing, how long they have been working here, etc. Be friends with them! It is important to build that trust and relationship first, then translate that into business and loyalty.

I hope this blog post gave everyone a better understanding on what Macy’s and retail is like. See you here next week for my second week updates at Macy’s! Enjoy and take care.

– Justin