Of Speed-Meeting and ICAB-Leading

One of my favorite things about interning at Marathon this summer is the opportunity to lead my intern class by serving on the Intern/Co-op Advisory Board (otherwise known as ICAB) as the Chair. I know I’ve talked a little bit about this in my previous posts, but we finally had our first official ICAB social event last week!

After a week and a half of hard planning, we were finally ready! Last Friday, we had about 70 interns gather in the auditorium for “Intern Speed-Meeting.” We sat the interns down at tables of six and gave them five minutes to introduce themselves, state what department they were working in, and answer two questions on the screen before rotating a few of them. The questions weren’t the typical “What’s your favorite movie?” or “Where do you see yourself in five years?” questions, but rather thoughtful invocations such as “If all 50 states went to war with each other, which state would win and why?” and “What is the most useless superpower?” to make everyone step out of their comfort zone and think outside the box.

I think the event was a success! We had a few logistical errors that popped up when we got there such as deciding where to seat everyone and figuring how to rotate the interns, but it all worked out in the end! I’ve heard some great feedback about the event and I feel like everyone had a good time getting to socialize with their fellow interns. After all, we are all future potential employees of Marathon and happy company makes a happy company!

Our next ICAB event is a “Lunch and Learn” with one of the refining experts in the company to learn more about the refining process and the backbone of Marathon. I am so proud of my board and I am honored to have the opportunity to work with them this summer! Serving as ICAB Chair is one of the highlights of my internship thus far and it really has taught me much about leading a team and the importance of staying organized and making yourself available to others. For all future interns/co-ops at Marathon, I definitely recommend applying for one of the board positions. Not only is it a great way to meet people and a nice resume-booster, it is also fun and extremely rewarding.

As a side note: I had breakfast with Donald Templin (the CFO of Marathon!), a senior VP of Corporate Planning, a VP of Finance, and the finance interns last week! Starting the day off with a talk about leadership, the importance of fully grasping every opportunity, and a delicious breakfast casserole was definitely an experience to remember. I am so thankful to have had that opportunity.

I can’t believe I’m on my fourth week of my internship. Time certainly has flown by!

Until next time, everyone!