26.5% through my Internship

Hi guys!

I can’t believe I’m already 2 and a half weeks into my internship, it feels like I just started yesterday! In the last couple weeks I’ve gotten acclimated with the people I work with and the overall atmosphere of Jo-Ann Stores, Inc.

The first two days were orientation where we got an overview of the corporate culture, the departments, and had a panel discussion with various department representatives. With this, the interns had a chance to learn about different employees’ backgrounds and how they contribute to Jo-Anns.

Following the panel discussion, all of the interns took a CUPCAKE DECORATING CLASS.

My cupcakes after taking the class..just call me Marta Stewart.

My cupcakes after taking the class..just call me Martha Stewart.

All of the interns with our decorated cupcakes

Wilton Cupcake Decorating Class

It was led by an instructor from Wilton and we each received our own cupcake decorating kit to take home after we finished the class. Jo-Ann’s mission is “To spark the creativity that lives in every person” and this has been a prominent theme even in the short time that I’ve been here. I’m feeling craftier every minute!

After the first two orientation days, I was placed with my manager and he has been teaching me the ins and outs of analytics at Jo-Anns. My days are filled with meetings and LOTS of excel. Remember those v-lookups from CSE? Yeah those are important. My big project for my summer involves developing strategies to personalize the Jo-Ann website.

Aside from working, the other interns and I had a volunteer day where we made no-sew blankets (those tie blankets that 96% of you probably own) and delivered them to the Ronald McDonald House in Akron. We then received a tour of the house which was a great experience! If you aren’t familiar with the charity, the Ronald McDonald House provides a home for families who have children getting treated for serious illnesses and is within walking distance of Akron Children’s Hospital. It’s an incredible cause and I feel very fortunate to have been part of the volunteer event!

All of the interns with the no-sews we made at the Ronald McDonald House in Akron!

The biggest surprise I’ve had so far is how genuinely nice the people are. Corporate culture often has a reputation for being intimidating; however, everyone I’ve met has been extremely friendly and willing to help me learn as much as possible.

I’ll keep you updated as my internship progresses!

Lindsay