Third Time Around

It’s hard to believe that I just finished up my second week with Marathon Petroleum! I’ve been learning so much, meeting so many people, and having just an all-around fantastic summer. I am so blessed and thankful for the opportunities I’ve been given this summer from the projects that I have been working on to the chance to be the Chair of the Intern/Co-op Advisory Board and so much more!

Due to confidentiality matters, I can’t go into too much detail about my projects here at Marathon, but you can rest assured that I am loving going to work everyday and learning more about the importance of competitive intelligence in the field of business development. My supervisor, my mentor, and my co-workers are all incredibly helpful and always willing to answer any questions that might come up. It’s pretty cool how they instill so much trust in their two interns to work according to our own pace and produce high-quality results.

A project that I have been working on that I can actually talk about is a case study with the finance interns regarding the ROI of a $40 million acquisition simulation. This is based on a past business deal in Marathon’s history. Being a marketing major who might not have done too well in Jay Wellman’s 3220 finance class, I was and still am a little worried about this project since finance isn’t the area of my expertise. My team and my supervisor know that I am ready to learn and willing to help out where I can, but recognize that this isn’t where I feel the most comfortable so I am thankful for their understanding.

I’m a little shy around new people, so I’ve really been trying to push myself to get out of my comfort zone and make friends since I knew almost no one coming to Findlay. Thankfully, my roommates are fun to be around and like to hang out. We always have interns sending out emails for “Wing Night Wednesdays” and get-togethers at various houses so I try to go to what I can to meet as many people as possible. Everyone has been so friendly. After all, we’re only here for three months so why not try to make the most of it?

Finally, being the Chair of the Intern/Co-op Advisory Board has been an amazing experience. I organized and ran my first board meeting earlier this week and I’d like to say that it was a success! I even got a reservation for the fancy director’s room with the big plasma TV so that was kind of cool. We conducted a productive brainstorming session to come up with ideas for social, business, and community service related events for the summer 2014 intern class. Getting to develop my leadership skills while getting involved at Marathon Petroleum is a fabulous experience and I am so glad to have that opportunity here!

Ten more weeks! I feel like it’s going to fly by before I even realize it, but I’m ready for the ride of a summer.

Until next time!