Where to Start…up

After spending the last two weeks backpacking throughout Europe, I find myself at my final destination of Berlin, Germany.  My name is Louis Gideon, and I will be spending the next eight weeks interning for Alecto, an insurance startup in Berlin, through the Fisher Global Internship Program.
 Departure
I grew up in the suburbs of Cleveland, Ohio, and until recently the furthest I had ever traveled from the comfort of my home was a couple states away on family vacations.  Former Ohio State President Gordon Gee once said that every single OSU student should have a passport, so I took his advice and never looked back.  In the past year I have traveled to Canada and Mexico, but I finally made it out of North America on May 6th, 2014.
The Crew
I tagged along with a group of graduating seniors to explore the other side of the pond, and the trip exceeded my wildest expectations.   Spanning from May 6th to May 17th, our trip went something like this: Oslo, Norway→Amsterdam, The Netherlands→Berlin, Germany→Prague, Czech Republic→Florence, Italy→Rome, Italy→Berlin, Germany.  We managed to limit our trip to one stereotypical ”O-H-I-O” picture but met Buckeyes in almost every country.  Eating the best food of my life, seeing the most amazing sights I have ever seen, and doing it all with some of my best friends was an experience that I encourage every single student to have as soon as possible. The rest of the group is actually still travelling, so if any of you are interested it’s not too late to join them!
image (3)
I just got settled in to the spectacular city of Berlin, known for it’s historical significance, music, hipsters, and cuisine.  After only one day of interning, I already have compiled a detailed business plan to bring Döner Kebabs (comparable to Gyros in America), my all-time favorite European street food, to the United States. In all seriousness, though, I have already started meaningful work in the Business Development sector of Alecto, and I am enjoying every second of it.  The company has a really cool culture, with 45 employees representing 13 nationalities and a modern office that creates a friendly, open atmosphere.
20140225_171633
Stay tuned for more updates from Berlin and I’ll be sure to post a Kebab power rankings for all potential travellers.
Prost (Cheers!),
Lou
image (8)image (9)