IELTS and TOEFL guidelines

Attention international applicants:

Although most international applicants choose to take the TOEFL, some choose to take the IELTS to satisfy the Ohio State University Graduate School’s requirements for English proficiency at time of application. Either TOEFL or IELTS are perfectly acceptable when applying to the Fisher SMF program. If you plan to submit TOEFL scores for your application, we recommend at least 100 overall and at least 24 on the speaking subsection to be minimally competitive. For those of you that plan to take the IELTS exam in lieu of the TOEFL, an overall band score of 7.0 and 7.0 on the speak section of the IELTS is what we recommend to be minimally competitive.

5 Responses to “IELTS and TOEFL guidelines”

1. 1 li yuewen February 24, 2011 at 4:22 am

Dear Admission Officer,
    I have submitted my application with valid IELTS test result in lieu of TOFEL, however,though all other supporting documents are received by you, my application status is still shown as INCOMPLETE. Moreover, I also received email from you, reminding me of the missing item TOEFL couple days ago, which is really confusing to me.
    Could you please help check?

many thanks

2. 2 Rob March 1, 2011 at 6:53 pm

Please contact the application processing office at

3. 3 sara October 26, 2014 at 6:25 am

A high score represents a high level of proficiency; a low score shows a lower level.IELTS is an exam designed for people of any level to take.

ielts essay

4. 4 ielts admission December 6, 2014 at 1:52 pm

Dear Rob,

I am looking forward to apply to your program. Do you still accept TOEFL Test? one of my friend told me that this program are accepted only IELTS Score at this moment. Is it true? Thanks in advanced.

5. 5 Rob December 8, 2014 at 4:53 pm

This program accepts both TOEFL and IELTS. The key thing is that the scores be no older than two years old at time of application.