A note to international applicants regarding the TOEFL

We receive inquiries from international applicants who are concerned about their TOEFL or IELTS scores. The Fisher College of Business requires the following:

• An overall score of at least 100 on the Internet-based TOEFL exam  **or**
  • A band score of at least 7.0 on the IELTS.

The PhD admissions committee may not review your application if you score below these minimum recommendations. Strong English skills are critical to success in our programs, not only in the classroom but also with employment recruiting. Therefore, if your scores are well below our suggested minimums, it would be to your advantage to retake the exam.

PLEASE NOTE: Be sure your name, as listed on your TOEFL and/or IELTS score reports matches exactly your name as listed on the application. If your name does not match exactly on the TOEFL/IELTS and your application, the chances of your application being significantly delayed are increased greatly.

TOEFL Speak Score: We prefer to see a score of 20 or higher on the speak section of the TOEFL.  Applicants who are offered admission to the program with a TOEFL speak score of 23 or lower will be selected for evaluation for free supplemental English instruction upon arrival at Fisher.

4 Responses to “A note to international applicants regarding the TOEFL”

1. 1 Minh Le November 28, 2012 at 5:30 pm

I am an international student who is currently enrolled in an accredited university in the States. I will receive my bachelor degree by May 2013. If I am applying the Fall 2013 Ph.D. program, do I qualify for a TOEFL waiver?

2. 2 Srivatsan Sridhar December 10, 2012 at 2:45 pm

I would like to know the address to which I need to submit my IELTS score. Is it is the Graduate programs office address as listed above?

3. 3 Alison December 10, 2012 at 2:53 pm

You may send a copy of the IELTS score report to the Graduate Programs Office at 2108 Neil Avenue, 100 Gerlach Hall, Columbus, OH 43210. The electronic score reports should be officially sent from IELTS to Ohio State.

4. 4 Alison December 10, 2012 at 2:54 pm

If you have been accepted into an accredited university in the United States, you should not need to take the TOEFL. You may confirm this by contacting a Graduate Admissions Counselor at gradadmissions@osu.edu.