The Accounting Degree Review recently released its 2014-15 ranking of graduate accounting programs. Unlike most rankings which are based on a survey of a specific (or single) population (example: Public Accounting Report’s ranking is based on a survey of professors), this ranking takes into account four different ranking sources to create a “super” or meta ranking.
Developed by the blog site “Accounting Degree Review,” this meta ranking factors in rankings from US News & World Report, Public Accounting Report, BYU’s Accounting Research Rankings (ranking of accounting department research quality), and Tax Talent’s ranking. Utilizing all of these data points, the 2014-15 Accounting Degree Review’s “50 Best Graduate Schools for Accounting” ranks Fisher/Ohio State‘s MAcc program 5th overall and 3rd among public universities. (Click here for the full ranking.)
Rankings may play a part in your decision on where to apply – but it should never be the primary or only reason you are considering certain programs. To make the best decision for you, I recommend you consider the following:
- Do you value course flexibility or do you prefer a rigid curriculum?
- Do you prefer a student body made up of students from primarily one or two schools? Or would you prefer to go to a program that has students from dozens of different undergraduate programs?
- Does the career management office have a dedicated full time officer ready to assist you in your career development plan? At minimum, is the career management office housed in the college of business?
- What is the program’s “culture?” Collaborative? Inviting? Or something else? What type of culture do YOU prefer?
- Do you want a programs focus to be on simply preparing you for the CPA exam? Or something broader with longer lasting impact on you personally and professionally?
- Is the college of business accredited for both business and accounting? (AACSB is considered to be the “gold standard” with respect to business education worldwide. It accredits business and accounting programs separately.)
Fisher College of Business
2108 Neil Ave
Columbus, OH 43210