As you are preparing your essay responses for your application, keep these tips in mind:
- Provide rationale for pursuing the MAcc degree at this stage of your personal/professional development
- include an explanation of your career path to date and how your past experiences have informed your decision
- include a discussion of your goals – both personal and professional – and how the MAcc program will help you achieve them
- be honest with yourself and with us – if you don’t know exactly what job or what industry you are targeting after graduation, that is okay – after all, you may be pursuing a MAcc to help you figure this out! Don’t write what you think we want to hear. It is okay to reveal some shortcomings – we all have them.
- Provide rationale for pursuing the Fisher MAcc degree specifically (there are numerous graduate accounting programs out there offering a variety of delivery formats – why Fisher’s?) in a way that makes sense for you personally. We don’t want to read our website regurgitated in your essay responses. We don’t need you to list all of the programs and resources we offer. Be thoughtful about these programs and resources and how you intend to leverage them to accomplish your individual goals. What is it about the Fisher MAcc program that really resonates with you?
- Explain any red flags or issues that the application may reveal (e.g. sub-par undergraduate grades, big employment gaps, etc.)
Always think of your essays as a one way interview. We are unable to interview every applicant to the program. This is your chance to tell us about yourself. Let us know if you have any questions!