Figuring out the Phone and Other Things

I’ve finally feel settled in at work now. I can navigate my way around the half of the floor that I work on, only once this week did I turn into someone’s cubicle thinking it was an aisle.

I got access to Oracle, but only to 2 out of the 3 departments that I will be rotating through, and of course the department that I didn’t get access to was Accounts Receivable, which is the current department I”m in. The AR manager was out of the office this week, and since the tasks that she gave me required access to Oracle, it was up to the AP manager to find me tasks. My manager said that this isn’t too uncommon, at anywhere I go, that it’ll take a while to get everything setup, and that she’s had this experience at just about every company she’s worked for. I also have a phone at my desk, or should I say had a phone at my desk? The phones are on some kind of network, so you can login at a different phone in the office and all calls to your line will go to the phone you’re logged into. Well, at some point, I got curios as to how to use it, there’s a menu screen, and up until then, I hadn’t really touched it because every time I did, it would make loud noises in the otherwise quiet office. Anyway, I started navigating through the menu and then at some point logged out. Now, they never gave me a login for the phone, it was logged into someone else account that either left the company or transferred somewhere else. So now I can’t use it because you need to be logged into the network.Nos

In the mean time, I’ve started getting up to speed on AP, meeting with a few of the people in the department and getting an overview of what they do. I learned about the different cards that are given to General Managers at sites (warehouses) and how travel reimbursement for all associates works. I started updating the balancing and updating the journal for travel accounts among other things.

I also got to meet the other summer interns at the ASC in a more informal environment. One of the other interns sent out an email about going to lunch this past Monday and I think most people went. We went out to a restaurant within walking distance of the office (Blue Agave for those of you familiar with restaurants in Westerville). I found out the reason why I hadn’t seen any other interns around was because everyone else but one other intern was in the other building.

We also went on a site tour for our lunch and learn this Friday. We went out to the Thirty-One Gifts warehouse (the big black building out by Easton, the old Victoria’s Secret distribution center). We got a presentation from some Exel employees that were on site and then got a tour around the facility. I learned a lot not only about the client, Thirty-One Gifts, but also about Exel. Something that came up again and again was about how many opportunities there were at Exel from vertical to lateral opportunities. I had never thought of that before. What they meant was, while like most companies, there is space to move up (like junior accountant to senior manager) which is the vertical aspect, there is also space to move laterally, so working on the account for Thirty-One Gifts and then switching to Toys-R-Us and then to Walmart etc. Being able to move laterally would keep things interesting. I also realized how big Exel is. I still remember the statistics that I found from my interview in Feb. and about how large their revenue was (over $4 billion annually), but I only had a vague idea of where that money came from. Apparently, if you’ve ordered anything from Toys-R-Us online, it was processed by one of their distribution centers! And there are plenty of other companies that Exel works with to ship online orders/take returns.

The site itself was very cool to see. Exel typically opens and operates the distribution centers completely by themselves, however at the site that we visitied, the client had decided to keep the monogramming work for themselves as it was their signature. So half of the warehouse was run by Exel and the other half was run by Thirty-One Gifts, but they were still interdependent on one another, if the Exel side was late then Thirty-One Gift would run behind and vice a versa. It was also interesting to hear how the two company cultures had to find a way to fit with one another. I had also never seen a warehouse in person before so that in and of itself was kind of cool, I found it especially odd that right in the middle of the floor there were actually cubicles!

The lunch and learn was a great way to end the week for sure. An added bonus was that I thought that we would have to punch out before we left the office for the distribution center, but an hour before I left the office, I got an email saying specifically not to punch out as it was on company time. So essentially, they paid me to go to their warehouse, have lunch, and learn about their company and better myself as a business professional. I would’ve been more than happy to do that for free, but let’s just keep that between you and me.

-Jason