When I tell my family and friends I am interning with Accenture, many of them have never heard of the company or they just see it was a Consulting firm. They are always asking “What exactly do you do?” So from now on when someone asks, I will direct them to this blog!
Many people don’t realize Accenture is the largest consulting firm in the world with more than 225,000 employees in 120 countries. With that many employees, the resources and opportunities are enormous! If you are interested in more key facts and information about Accenture visit: http://www.accenture.com/usen/company/overview/Pages/index.aspx
Traditionally when you are hired into Accenture, you are hired for a specific platform with a “specialization” in an operation. This matrix structure is often referred to as the “Major/Minor System”:
Accenture has three platforms (Majors):
- Management Consulting- focused on business solutions, processes, and change management
- Technology-brings together the full range of systems integration, technology consulting, and IT outsourcing skills (technology resource/development)
- Business Process Outsourcing(BPO)- focuses on BPO services to enable high performance (Procurement, HR, Finance, and Accounting)
Accenture's "Major/Minor" System
Accenture’s five operating groups (Minors) cover 19 industires.
- Communications & High Tech: Communications, Electronics, Media and Entertainment
- Financial Services: Banking, Capital Markets, Insurance
- Products: Automotive, Air, Freight & Travel Services, Consumer Goods & Services, Industrial Equipment, Infrastructure & Transportation Services, Life Sciences, Retail
- Resources: Chemicals, Energy, Natural Resources, Utilities
- Health & Public Service: Health, Public Service
If you are interested in a career in consulting, any one of these three platforms has the opportunity to do that. I work specifically in procurement with a focus on strategic sourcing. However if consulting is not your thing, there are other jobs within Accenture including Accounting, HR, Engineering, and many more.
Accenture Ringing the closing bell!
On another note, Accenture celebrated the 10th anniversary of our name. Accenture was originally founded in1989under the name Anderson Consulting. The CEO Pierre Nanterme celebrated by ringing the closing bell on Wall Street!
Until next time,