All work and…play!

The biggest fundraising weekend for the Hocking Valley Community Hospital Foundation is now over. While the weekend events required much planning, the actual weekend proved to be really fun – not only for those attending as guests, but also for everyone who works at the hospital that worked the event! Overall, the hospital’s foundation raised just over $28,600 from the auction and golf tournament combined! All of the hard work and planning done by the foundation and the hospital’s interns really paid off!

The majority of Thursday and Friday was spent making sure all the auctioned items had correct placement and numbers matching up with the corresponding lists we prepared for those who were attending the auction. I also was given a task on Friday night during the auction that I wasn’t expecting: “modeling” the merchandise to the audience.  It was the first auction I attended, and it was a lot of fun getting to see what exactly happens during an auction and how much people are actually willing to pay for something, especially when the proceeds are going to charity. Here’s an example: A box of spicy nuts went for $425!!

The golf tournament on Saturday was also very exciting…and hot! Budweiser and Pepsi were two of our sponsors, so all the golfers and workers got unlimited free drinks. The hospital also paid for the interns’ meals throughout the day and even gave us a goody bag filled with snacks. In addition, we were given free lunch box coolers, chapstick, drawstring bags, coozies, and bottle openers, all courtesy of Budweiser. The interns were definitely treated really well throughout the weekend!

A view of the golf course

As I said in my previous blog, I worked the “Double or Nothing” game on Hole 14 at the country club with another intern, Krista. I raised some money for the hospital’s foundation and also had fun interacting with those who were golfing (thankfully, I didn’t get proposed to!). Since it was such a hot day out there in the sun,  I was even able to work on my tan! :)

While the weekend wasn’t completely all fun and games, it was really nice to be able to have some fun and interact with my coworkers and other interns outside of the hospital!

2 Responses to All work and…play!

1. Mark Wilson says:

Sounds like you are having fun! Congratulations on a successful event.

2. Margie Bogenschutz says:

An event like this could never happen without the energy and commitment of interns – that’s why your contributions are so important!