I’m already 1/4 of the way done with my internship?

Week Three.

This week I have really dove down and achieved some good progress on my projects.  I’ve learned how to successfully sort several thousands of rows of data in excel, and then analyze and interpret the data in order to deliver a final presentation that will show all of my findings next Tuesday to the Director of Supply Chain for Confections & Snacks.  I’m starting to understand Nestlé’s “language” which helps me to feel more and more comfortable in my position each and every day.  I feel like such a grown up working five days a week for about ten hours a day and I love dressing up in business attire! :)  It’s definitely a rewarding feeling to believe that you’ve picked the right major and I really like the feel of Corporate America!

I know that in each blog I talk about how awesome Nestle is, but here are some more things I think are just pretty cool about Nestle and my experiences in California!

• This week during a meeting with my manager, we decided we wanted something sweet…so we took our meeting downstairs to the Employee Dining Center where Nestlé’s Ice Cream, Dreyer’s is sold for 50 cents a scoop.  We then went outside (our outside eating area is beautiful, and includes sunshine and palm trees) and continued our meeting over chocolate-chip cookie dough ice cream!
  • Because I have so many projects (I no longer have 4- I now have 6!!), I am able to network with many people at Nestle.  The Product Hierarchy Project that Jeremy and I are working on requires us to meet with Finance, Marketing, Sales, and Supply Chain on a regular basis to ensure every functional group’s needs are met.  Nestlé’s internship program is really efficient in helping interns to gain exposure to Nestlé’s culture and business.  (Just this week alone, I’ve had 20 meetings total!)
  • Buddy system- Nestle matches each intern up with a buddy for the summer and provides a budget for each set of buddies.  This allows us to spend some time together outside of work exploring the surrounding area.  My buddy, Olivia, and I have already had a couple of lunches together and this weekend we’re going to go to Catalina Island to go on a “Land and Sea Tour”.  The boat we’ll be on has a glass bottom so we’ll be able to see everything that’s in the ocean beneath us!  I’m really excited about spending the day exploring the Island! 
  • I never knew I would see so many familiar faces, now that I’m on the west coast.  This weekend I was totally surprised by one of my best friends in Cohort, Falcon!  He is really good friends with another one of the interns at Nestle and decided on a whim to come out here for the weekend (He told her, but thought it’d be funny to see my reaction when he opened the door at my apartment complex when I had no idea he was going to be there!) My past weekend with my family was amazing -the weather was perfect, we experienced a lot in a short amount of time, and it was great to see them.  This upcoming weekend I’m going to spend some time with one of my sorority sisters, who lives in Manhattan Beach!  So as far away from home as I am, the world is very small and therefore, I haven’t even felt homesick! 
    The Hollywood Sign is right under us!

The Hollywood Sign is right under us!

3 Responses to I’m already 1/4 of the way done with my internship?

1. Susan Merritt says:

It’s exciting that Mandi & I made your latest blog! We had such a great time on our trip to LA and I love seeing you in your California life! I repeat…you are such a lucky girl!!! Love, Mom

2. Erin Frederick says:

Lexi- It sounds like you are having so much fun in California and Nestle. I am so jealous that you have ice cream in the lobby. Enjoy the fun before back to OSU!

3. Margie Bogenschutz says:

I am so jealous that you can get ice cream for $.50!! You know what happens to students who are really good at their internships? They get more projects! :)