A valuable learning experience…

My internship in sales has been quite an eye opening experience. While many people enjoy sales, I did not…at all. It just wasn’t for me.  So, rather than being miserable all summer pursuing something I knew I would never want to do again,  I decided to end my time there and try to figure out what possible career opportunities I’d be interested in pursuing after graduation instead.

I am now interning at the Hocking Valley Community Hospital (HVCH). When I’m not working there, I’m hopefully going to be shadowing a couple people who have pursued different career paths in marketing. I have been talking with a someone at The Office of Career Management, who has been really helpful in making suggestions on how I use this summer as an opportunity to help me decide what I want to do with my marketing degree. If you haven’t met with one of the awesome career consultants there, you definitely should! They offer so much advice and insight; and they are really willing to help the students at Fisher! I also plan to meet with someone from Career Connection at the Younkin Success Center.

I am working in the cardiology department at HVCH. My job is to develop a marketing strategy to help promote the hospital’s introduction of a sleep lab in the fall. The purpose of a sleep lab is to study the sleeping patterns of patients to discover whether they have sleeping disorders. So far, I have been researching other sleep labs in Ohio and comparing ways that hospitals advertise differently to doctors and patients. In July, I will be making a presentation to members of the cardiology department and also some others on my findings and will suggest what the best ways are to advertise for this.

Here are some interesting facts that I’ve learned so far about sleeping:

• Over 60 million Americans suffer from sleep disorders
  • Over 18 million Americans suffer from Sleep Apnea
  • If left untreated, a sleeping disorder can jeopardize one’s health by increasing risk of stroke, high blood pressure, and heart disease.
  • Women (especially if they are pregnant) are 2x more likely than men are to have difficulty sleeping.
  • “Getting your beauty sleep” is more than a myth

In addition to working on the marketing and advertising of sleep labs, I’m also helping out with charity events organized by the hospital. Last Saturday, I got to help out with a 5k! There’s also a golf tournament coming up in July that will be a lot of fun to help with. I have never really considered working at a hospital from a business aspect rather than from the healthcare side, so I know it’s going to be a really great experience for me!

My boyfriend, Clay, and I. As you can see, we weren't rooting for the same team!

I’ve also been able to have a little bit of fun this summer. I was able to go to Cincinnati for a Reds game last week where they played…THE YANKEES! (My all time favorite baseball team!). My group of friends was supposed to go to the Tuesday night game, but as my friends and I were sitting in downtown rush hour traffic in Cinci (horrible!), the game was postponed until Wednesday night. So, I returned to Columbus, and we went back Wednesday hoping for better weather. While it turns out it ended up being a beautiful night, it would have been a lot more fun if the Yankees had won. I was the only one in my group who was rooting for the Yankees, so everyone I was with was pretty excited with how the game turned out. I must point out though, that even though the Bronx Bombers lost that particular game, they did win the series overall. :)

Our view of the stadium near the 3rd baseline!

2 Responses to A valuable learning experience…

1. Margie Bogenschutz says:

And I had the fun of watching the Indians beat the Yankees [and BTW, the Indians won THAT series overall :)] Thanks for sharing your learning experience with us. Sometimes the best thing we learn from our internship is what we don’t want to do!

2. Jeff Rice says:

Hi Abby. Good for you to have the courage to try sales and take the risk in leaving this for a more pure marketing and promotion opportunity. It appears you are now more energized and in an opportunity that is more exciting and meaningful to you. Keep up the good work, and Go Reds:) I am now off to get some sleep– you convinced me. See you soon.