HOW WILL YOU SPEND YOUR QUARTERS?

Hi Followers!

My sincere apologies for not having any posts for the last couple of weeks.  I have been extremely busy between work, doing lots of working out, and having fun on the weekends (more to come).

Before I give everyone an insight into the specifics of what I am doing this summer I should give you all a little more insight into me.  I thought it might be a good idea to give a breakdown of my Ohio State experience thus far.  And what better way to do this then relating it to money because everyone likes money, right?!  However, differing from the reality of the cost of a college, I have broken down a four-year degree into 4 whole dollars!  ($0.25 for each quarter)  Below is a little recap of how I have spent my last three quarters.

FALL: I spent my quarter quite well.  I had the “honor” of being selected into the Honors Cohort Program through Fisher.  As far as that goes, I had the privilege of being a member of the winning team for an American Eagle marketing project.  We had our picture up in Times Sqaure.  I also spent this quarter further developing the The Logistics Association, along with President Matt Farr and fellow officers.

Sampson Simpson - 2009 Intramural Champs!

Additionally, fall quarter included the infamous college breakup; everyone has one of these in their lifetime right?  And who can forget that fall quarter includes BUCKEYE football?  Along with the football theme, I must admit that I was a member of the Intramural Flag Football Championship Team.  This quarter was a good investment and well spent.

WINTER: My quarter was spent having a lot of fun!  I was a bit uneven, being extremely high on the fun side, and a little low on the academic side.  My winter quarter was spent traveling to Denver for a Supply Chain Case Competition, presenting law cases to NetJets employees at their headquarters in Columbus, Ohio, and the process of picking my internship.  GO HANNIBAL, MISSOURI!

SPRING: What an investment this quarter was, it returned a very high yield. If you have never been to Ohio State during spring quarter…well let’s just saying you’re missing out!  I was able to travel to Midland with my fellow Cohorts where we visited Dow Chemical headquarters.  For St. Patrick’s Day weekend I ventured to Chicago to visit my best friend, Dan Biga who goes to Loyola University.  Along with the good times, life also brings us unexpected sorrow.  I mourned the loss of a beloved high school friend and her father this spring.  Throughout the rest of my spring quarter, I continued to foster new friendships and enjoy college.  Before I knew it the quarter was over and I was in my stuffed car driving westward to Missouri!  This was the best 25 cents I have spent at Ohio State.   

Best Friend Dan Biga and Me on St. Patrick's Day

So there is a look into how I spent my last 75 cents.  I can’t believe I only have 3 more quarters to spend before I am done with my undergraduate degree!  Some advice I have to others who want to maximize their college experience in general are:

• Take all opportunities you are given; you never know what they will lead to
  • Embrace all of your successes, but especially your failures; these are from which you learn the most
  • Grades are important, however they aren’t everything.  Just like finances, you need to diversify yourself into various aspects of life.  Make sure your personal portfolio has more than good grades to show for itself  (Personality, Humor, Culture, Hobbies, and Community Service)
  • Don’t be afraid to take chances.  My mom recently sent me a note that included this quote, “If we are growing we are always going to be outside our comfort zone” ~John C. Maxwell

For those of you who only have a few more quarters to spend during your college experience, spend wisely.   For those of you who will be taking a victory lap, I’m extremely envious.  And to all followers, make sure you spend your quarters wisely in order to maximize your college experience.

“One mustn’t criticize other people on grounds where he can’t stand perpendicular himself”

~Mark Twain

Until next time.

DORITOS BAGS EATEN: 6 bags

~Paul Sobecki

5 Responses to HOW WILL YOU SPEND YOUR QUARTERS?

1. Seth Myers says:

Pete,

Sampson Simpson fo life… Miss you buddy.

Good post.

Jeff

2. Alex says:

Are you in Chicago? Because I miss you from Denver!

Pretty soon we’ll be back in Columbus…let’s spend .50 cents fall qtr!

Al

3. cata Lizarralde says:

Like your post, I miss you dearly. Hope you can come and visit soon.. I promisse its even more fun than Denver.. haha..
    I wish you well, and I hope you are loving Hannibal but not too much because I want you to come here! yay!! Hannibal vs. NYC.. hard stuff….puffy.

Cata

4. Sarah Hill says:

Paul,

Nice re-cap and good tips! That’s so nice of your mom to send you inspiring quotes!

Take care,
    Sarah

5. Matt Farr says:

Good post man.
    This last $0.75 will sure go fast, but will be the best $0.75 spent in a while. Almost like the Chuck E. Cheese “where a kid can be a kid” claw machine, that game never gets old!
    Thanks for the shout out!