Written by: Lauren Acton
New York is turning me into a foodie. Sure, I’ve always appreciated a good meal. My mom comes from a line of talented Italians, and my favorite memories of being abroad in Scotland and London are all punctuated by the meal I had immediately before or following. But really, New York, this is getting out of control – there are just too many delicious places to eat! So, five weeks in, here are my top ten places:
10) Papaya Dog – Hot Dogs For $1.50, you can get a real New York hot dog. As far as I can tell, there is no “official” hot dog, but my favorite combo is mustard, relish, and sauerkraut… yum. Disclaimer: My love for this place might have more to do with being on my way home from the subway after a long night of adventures in the city (aka my NYC Canes/Fly Pie).
9) Artichoke – Artichoke Pizza I honestly don’t think I’ll ever be able to enjoy pizza ever again after eating here. Their feature pizza is a HUGE slice with a white, alfredo-y sauce and artichokes. The line is always way down the street, and it’s always worth it!
8) Citi Field/Nathan’s – Cheese Fries - Okay, I’ll admit that this probably only made the list because Citi Field is great, and when I went I saw the Reds OWN the Mets (Votto was 3-4 with 2HRs and a double, and that was before he made the All Star cut!), but they really are delicious. Also, they serve them with a weird little fork.
7) Park Slope Chip Shop – Fish and Chips – This place makes the list because it is a real taste of London right in Brooklyn! Also, the decorations are amazing, the food is delicious, and it reminded me of my super cool roommate who is interning in London right now (miss you, Mindy!).
6) SMAC – Macaroni and Cheese - After my friend and I went to a taping of the Colbert Report (so freaking cool, but it took forever!) we stumbled upon this delicious treasure. Sarita’s Macaroni and Cheese features 10 different kinds of mac, but also lets you make your own delicious concoctions. The line is always crazy long and you have to fight for a table, but you can also get your mac to go and it is just as delicious! It’s definitely worth a visit if you’re ever in the East Village.
Come back later for more delicious recommendations!