First Day in the Big Apple

Overwhelming… That’s the best word that I can use to explain my first couple days in New York City. Of course my flight was delayed and it wouldn’t be New York unless my shuttle ride from the airport took more than 2 hours. So it’s 9 PM, 2 suitcases and a back pack in hand, and I finally arrive at my new apartment.  Work starts at 9 AM in Midtown and I don’t even know where the subway is located. After wondering around aimlessly for an hour, I discover the subway hiding right under my nose.

Day One starts off as any normal first day at a job. I met the other intern from Connecticut. We got a tour of the office and received, what seemed like, a 200 page on-boarding book. Yikes! We were quickly walked through the administrative stuff that we needed to complete by week end, and then they set us loose. While I did thoroughly enjoy my first day, 3 hours of compliance work and orientation videos get a little monotonous.

Bronze Bull in the middle of the Financial District

** Day 1 Highlight **

Going to a Subway in a subway (Subway Restaurant in subway station). Not many Ohio people can say they have done that!

After work, I searched for a grocery store. While I did find one, you can hardly associate D’Agostino’s with a normal grocery store. Ohioans think of Wal-Mart and Kroger (or Kroghetto for us Ohio Staters), New Yorkers think of a convenience store. It was a store the size of my apartment. The aisles were cramped, prices were through the roof, and people were not too happy to wait in line for a half hour. After purchasing every “Best Value” product available (which were still more expensive than normal brand name foods in Ohio), I had to walk 3 blocks with about 8 bags of food!

After winding down and finally settling in, I was able to cook a nice microwave dinner, listen to the sounds of New York (honking and people yelling), and use the smallest gym in the world which happens to be located in the basement of my apartment. All in all, new experiences but great experiences!

** Advice **

If you go to New York, try to be conscious of the prices, but if you try too hard you will end up beating yourself up.  Yes, I have already spent an outrageous amount of money while being here, but this is a once in a lifetime experience that I should utilize to the fullest. Have fun, and don’t sweat the money that you have to spend while living it up in one of the coolest cities in the world.

5 Responses to First Day in the Big Apple

1. Paul Sobecki says:

Been running in Central Park yet? And sorry to hear about your expensive Cheez Its.

2. Alex Shellhammer says:

Subway was the highlight of your week? Really? I thought it was wearing shorts in the city!

3. Sara Weil says:

Find out how much a you pick two at panera costs. $5.99 in Grand Haven, MI!

4. Sarah Hill says:

Seth,

It sounds like you are in need of a care package from a family member or friend to lighten that grocery bill! Do New Yorkers use coupons? That would likely thrill the people in line behind you.

5. Chintal Patel says:

I love the smallest gym in the world. Its an arnold classic…get it? ha. See you there.