Kim Schmahl – Columbus Foundation Summer Fellow @ ALS Association

Hi everyone! My name is Kim Schmahl and I just finished my third year at Ohio State as a Marketing and Logistics major.  I’m from Fairfield, Ohio, which is a suburb just north of Cincinnati.  Since coming to OSU, I’ve gotten involved in several organizations here on campus, like Relay for Life‘s planning committee and Buckeyes of Ronald McDonald House.  Within Fisher, I am a member of Students Consulting for Non-profit Organizations and am in the Honors Cohort Program.

Unlike many of my classmates, I didn’t always know I wanted to go into business.  When I arrived at Ohio State as a freshman, I had no idea what I wanted to major in, but there was one thing I did know: that I am interested in non-profits.  In high school, most everything I was involved in was community service based, and, as you may have noticed from the organizations I am in, volunteering is still a big part of my life here at OSU.  A career in the non-profit sector seemed like a natural fit for me, but I still wasn’t sure what to study.  After changing my major a few times, I finally found myself at home in Fisher and hope that I will be able to use my business degree to make a difference in the community.

This summer I was fortunate enough to find an internship with a local non-profit.  I will be participating in the Summer Fellowship Program with the Columbus Foundation.  The way it works is the foundation matches the 10 fellows, or interns, with different non-profit organizations around Columbus.  I will be working at the Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) Association of Central and Southern Ohio, which works to support patients with Lou Gehrig’s disease, raise awareness for the illness and fund research to find a cure.  I will be working in the Patient Services department to plan an event for patients and their caregivers and physicians.  In addition to working at the ALS Association, all of us fellows will have other opportunities to learn about non-profits through speakers and other events put on by the foundation.  This summer, I hope to not only learn a lot about ALS and the ALS Association and the inner-workings of the organization, but also to learn about the non-profit world in general through the opportunities provided by the Columbus Foundation. I am incredibly excited to get started and can’t wait to share my summer with you!

2 Responses to Kim Schmahl – Columbus Foundation Summer Fellow @ ALS Association

1. L Ellerson says:

We are so very proud of you. Keep us up to date on what you are doing. Your Texas Grandparents

2. Lacoda Evans says:

Hey Kim!!! I’m so proud of you. I know that you will have a wonderful summer.