Hi from a newby =)

Eva G. Zamudio

Admit it, your heart races, your blood boils or both when you hear an offer for an internship in a well-known company instead of a full time job. That was my case.

Hello, my name is Eva Gabriela Zamudio, born and raised in Peru and I am really thrilled to have the opportunity to blog for you about my internship in Unilever.

Just to give you a little bit of background about me… I am a non-traditional/four year student with a specialization in Operations Management. The non-traditional aspect is because I have been working for 5 years in the business/banking field before I went back to school to pursue a business bachelor’s degree.

Coming back from a study abroad program in France and backpacking around all Europe for a month and half; I prepared to take advantage of the career fair on the beginning of Autumn 2009 quarter.

I was glad to get different interviews for full time positions. That process was a great experience especially because it let me noticed the importance of an internship in your career field.

It made me realized that there was a time when having a bachelor’s degree meant you were automatically qualified for a job, however now companies can be very specific about the types of degrees and skills they want. Trust me on that!

That is why after a couple interviews with representatives from Unilver, I accept the offer to do a 6 months co-op internship program with them in the Global Supply Chain unit instead of taking a full time job.

Why an internship and not a full time job?  First at all, I didn’t take my specialization classes yet so I believe I am in the perfect point of my academics, where I can make a valuable use of an internship.

Also, I am expecting to get from a internship the unique learning experience outside of the academic environment where I can test the theories, concepts and methods learned from our classroom, I can be expose to the real decision making process and working with others and it will wide the scope of my ideas for potential careers after college and I will be able to make key contacts in my field.

Additionally, because I will have the chance to know myself better professionally speaking. Like, do I enjoy working in the supply chain field? What do I like most over there? What is the work environment in Supply Chain like? What kind of people work in the Global Supply Chain Unit and in Uniliver? What things I can do particularly well that benefit the Supply Chain field? Is Supply Chain the professional field I see myself into in the future?

To finish off, I hope this blog is something that interests you and that you will come back often. My goal with this blog is to have a place to go for straightforward information about the pre-internship period, during internship and post internship.

I want to be more in depth than tips and funny experiences but not required you to wade through pages of uninteresting and uninformative tips for an internship situation.

I hope to become your Internship Period Encyclopedia. I am always interested in hearing your viewpoint and/or criticism of my viewpoint. Please send me any topics that you feel are important or that is generally lacking in coverage referring to an internship.

P.S For the curious, do you want to see Peru? Here is a great video I submitted to Fisher about of one beautiful area of Peru and that help me to pay part of my study abroad program:

http://fisher.osu.edu/video/international/student-exchange/door/slideshow.swf

2 Responses to Hi from a newby =)

1. Chris Warnky says:

Greetings. How are you doing. I hope and pray things are going well for you and that you are continuing to learn a lot and apply what you already know.

2. Eva says:

Hi Chris, I am doing good, thanks for keeping me in your prays and I am looking forward to talk to you in my visit to C-bus =)