A Perfect Getaway

Week 5: Monday August 3rd-Sunday August 9th

Meeting new people, gaining valuable knowledge about the industry I want to work in, exploring a city of sunshine, beaches, palm trees, and bright lights, learning the art of independence, even taking classes at the New York Film Academy! Living in Los Angeles has really become a perfect getaway. Little did I know that this term would take on a second, even more thrilling meaning in the context of my summer adventure.

Monday August 3rd: Marvel – Production Office

Tuesday August 4th: NYFA – Classes

“Director’s Craft” 11:30-2:00

Lunch, then got my Universal badge!

“Writing” 3:00-5:30

Break

“Acting for Film” 6:00-8:30

Back home

Wednesday August 5th: A Perfect Getaway, Red Carpet, Movie Premiere, and After Party!

015252-edited 01530-edited
01524-edited

Pretty excited to run into Steve Zahn! Five minutes before this picture (below) was taken I walked by Dan Byrd, Hilary Duff’s co-star in A Cinderella Story. I happened to have spent a large portion of my youth worshipping Miss Duff, so I turned around and like a little girl I said, “Hey! I loved you in A Cinderella Story!” …Embarrasing, I know. He responded very kindly and we chatted for a couple of minutes. Basically the highlight of my night, haha… I’m glad I refrained from asking what it was like working with Hilary and if he thinks her and I would make good friends.

It was wild to see Timothy Olyphant, Kiele Sanchez, the rest of the cast, and a slew of other celebs at the after party. The life of the rich and famous sure is nice!

To my disappointment, Mila left for a flight to London right after the premier and Chris Hemsworth, the soon-to-be Thor himself, was M.I.A because of Marvel-related business.

With Steve Zahn

Thursday August 5th: Marvel – Production Office

Back to work at Marvel!

Friday August 6th: NYFA

“Acting for Film” 4:30 – 7:00

Out to dinner with some NYFA students

Saturday August 7th: NYFA

Guest Speaker Dana Lustig spoke of the ins and outs of independent, low-budget filmmaking. Her advice: if pursuing a career in this industry, don’t underestimate the importance of business knowhow. “The film business is still a business,” she said. And studying more of the legal, financial, and logistical side of things is something she wishes she had done more of back when she was just beginning her career. Dana also emphasized the importance of having big actors in your film, even (or especially) if it’s low budget. Big names attract money and attention to your work and in the end, the goal is to sell the film and create a profit for your investors (which they will ideally then re-invest into your next project). As far as markets go, Dana spoke of the lucrative nature of the foreign markets. The trend of shooting films in countries like Bulgaria, Romania, etc., where labor and other costs are cheaper, underlines the importance of filmmakers creating and maintaining strong foreign relations.

Dana also spoke in depth about film distribution:

Two major markets: Domestic (US and sometimes Canada) and Foreign (elsewhere)

Main mediums of distribution: DVD, TV, Cable TV, Theatrical Release, Internet, Phone (now developing more), Airplanes/Cruise ships

Film markets: Annual events which attracts thousands of industry participants from all over the world who converge to buy and sell distribution rights for completed films or to gain financing for projects in various stages of production. This is a tradeshow where production and distribution deals are closed. Attendees generally include: acquisition and development executives, agents, attorneys, directors, distributors, festival directors, financiers, film commissioners, producers, writers, press and all those who provide services to the motion picture industry. (Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Film_Market)

For a list of film markets visit: http://www.movieindustrymarketing.com/cgi-bin/gt/tpl.h,content=15

Film festivals: Today, many film markets are taking place in conjunction with film festivals. “A film festival is an organized, extended presentation of films in one or more movie theaters or screening venues, usually in a single locality.” Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Film_festival)

Overall Dana states, “Never put your ego before the big picture. You want the picture to sell, to satisfy your creativity and artistic vision and to produce a ROI for your investors.”

Sunday August 8th: Beach and brainstorming

Headed to the beach to relax and write. Next week, I’m going to have the opportunity to shoot my own short film at the New York Film Academy at Universal Studios!

Keep a lookout for new video posts this week on My YouTube Page. For more pictures from my trip, check out My Flickr Page. Thanks for reading guys! Love reading your comments!

Next post…Monday August 10th-Sunday August 16th

4 Responses to A Perfect Getaway

1. Judy Sun says:

Can you say BALLIN’? This is not your typical internship, and it sounds like so much fun! Gotta love alumni connections!

Haha, I’m glad you refrained from embarrassing yourself when you talked to the guy from A Cinderella Story. At our age, it’s so hard to be a fangirl and not creep people out, know what I mean!? Let me just answer the question for you…I think you’d be great pals with Hilary Duff! :D

I’m definitely going to check out your Youtube later…I don’t know how I missed your blog entries before!

2. Allie says:

Thanks so much Judy!

3. Kim Bader says:

Wow! What neat experiences…and walking the red carpet! So fun! I’m sure it won’t be the last time. :)

4. Dear Allie, We are also a production house based in india, we’ll be really glad to get in touch with talented ppl like you.