How Coursework Connects to Intern Projects

For this week, I decided to look back on all of the projects I have been assigned throughout this summer and figure out how my coursework has helped me succeed as an intern here at Cohen & Company. First of all, since I have been exposed primarily to such a niche group, fund auditing, the coursework has not related directly. Having not taken any official audit classes yet I can’t speak for those, however there have been numerous topics that were mentioned in my accounting classes that I have dealt with.

When it comes to accounting, especially tax issues, the rules and regulations are capable of changing daily. If anyone is interested at all with accounting statements, the most common subject I am exposed to is the Statement of Financial Accounting Standards No. 157. This statement deals with the fair value of a companies assets and liabilities. Since I work primarily with stocks and mutual funds, the fair value is the current or closing trade price. Other than that, the concept behind basic journal entries is something that has to be second nature. As an intern you really cannot afford to spin your wheels when it comes to journal entries. Obviously, you will be involved with certain topics that are foreign to you but as long as you put forth the effort, it will be noticed. One class that I know as mentioned by another Fisher blogger is CS&E 200. I honestly feel like this course should be taught later in the curriculum, since the acquired skills are imperative to being efficient when working on computers all day. At Cohen & Company, the woman who is in charge of training holds weekly sessions that are open to all employees. These presentation topics range from “Excel on Steroids” to “Hidden Treasures in Adobe Acrobat 7.0″. These are great opportunites to brush up on your skills as well as learn numerous shortcuts and other features that increase your efficiency.

Another aspect of coursework that related directly to my internship experience is the importance of group work. It seems like in every class, by the second day, you have been assigned to groups that you will work on all projects with. I cannot stress the importance of learning from these experiences. For our intern summer project, as I mentioned earlier, we had to create a Facebook Fan Page. This past week, we presented in front of 35 employees in the Cleveland office in addition to at least 50 others listening in via webinar. As soon as we were assigned this task, we knew it would be a tremendous amount of work, especially if we wanted it to be successful. By the time this entry is posted, the site will have gone public, please feel free to become a fan (Search: Cohen & Company on Facebook and look for the Fan Page). Also, as a question to readers, how comfortable do you feel becoming fans of companies you may be interested in working for? Even if the recruiter can’t see your profile, does this sound like something you would do? What type of features would keep you returning to the site? Also, how many of you are on Twitter? This was another assignment associated with our summer project.

Below are a few pictures that are posted on the site.

Conference Room in Columbus Office

Conference Room in Columbus

Intern Group on a client tour in Cleveland

My cube in the Columbus Office

My cube in the Columbus Office

3 Responses to How Coursework Connects to Intern Projects

1. Judy Sun says:

Hey Jake,

I think I recognize some people from Hudson High School in this picture… :)

To answer your questions about Facebook Fan Pages:
    I don’t like becoming a fan on Facebook of random things, but I’d definitely become a fan of a company if I was interested in the business, the page had fresh content (especially if it’s exclusive to Facebook), was a good networking tool, and actually had activity (the administrator, employees, and other students). I think it would be a good tool to get college students connected with the company because it’s a platform that basically all students of our generation use, and if people aren’t inclined to start being more business minded and keeping up with the happenings of specific businesses by visiting their websites…maybe they will be after Facebook makes it more easily accessible to them. Students could connect on there and discuss the news that’s posted too. Facebook events for recruitment and networking events would probably be really appealing too.

I use Twitter, but I’m kind of new to it. I don’t see what the hype is about it, it’s just a bunch of statuses and it entertains me for maybe 2 seconds… I wouldn’t follow a company on Twitter, but I’d definitely give the fan page a shot.

Judy

2. Jake says:

Thanks Judy for the feedback. I agree with you 100% about Facebook. We have the page scheduled to release new videos once every 2 weeks as well as an interactive discussion section with some of the employees. Another goal was to reach out to recruits with events to possibly have them RSVP ahead of time and make that initial connection prior to the event.

As far as Twitter. We have recognized that it is a new social media platform and that not too many college students are users. We were thinking that it could be another form of a reminder to let students know the company was visiting their campus. Another idea was to send a tweet out saying, “Hey I’m on the campus at OSU. First person to reply to my tweet I’ll let you know where I’m at and I’ll buy you lunch and we can talk about accounting, jobs, or whatever.” Something along those lines to give it a more personal, on-the-go feeling.

Thank you so much for the great comment though!

3. Judy Sun says:

Hey Jake,

Those ideas sound great, especially about the tweet! Maybe after I get a newer phone with internet/Twitter capabilities, I’ll be able to fully appreciate Twitter… :)

Judy