Marshal Getz in Jolly old England: Part V(f)

Note to Marshal’s Faithful Readers:  Marshal’s editor has taken his most recent post, Marshal Getz in Jolly old Enlgand: Part V, and divided it into six shorter posts that will be released as Part V(a) through Part V (f). This is the sixth installment.

The BBC proms are in their 114 year and are a series of 70+ musical performances set over a period of 40 days.  The

With Alexandra at the BBC Proms

With Alexandra at the BBC Proms

Proms bring some of the best classical and jazz musicians in the world to London’s Royal Albert Hall, and the best part is that the Proms are dirt cheap.  The reason for this is to get the younger generation of kids interested in classical music.  Regularly, a person would pay £100 to watch a performer that you could see at the BBC Proms for £5-£10.  It really is the deal of a lifetime.  Alexandra and I went to the second night of the Proms and saw the recreation of Joseph Haydn’s The Creation.  Upon arriving to the Royal Albert Hall, I wasn’t sure what I was going to expect from the proms.  Personally, I am more of a rocker, and I wasn’t sure if I would enjoy the classical music.  I came into the performance hoping the time would fly by, and I left wishing the orchestra would have played on forever!  Never before had I experienced such an amazing performance, and in one night, I became obsessed with the BBC Proms.

After the Proms

After the Proms

Following an awesome night at the Proms with Alexandra, we met up with the rest of the OSU kids and the Washington girls at one of Europe’s best dance clubs, Fabric.  Fabric is located in an old warehouse which wasn’t much to look at on the outside, however, was freaking awesome on the inside.  Imagine the craziest looking European night club and Fabric is exactly that.  The cover charge was £18 (~$30) which is pretty stiff; however the club was worth the money.  The Saturday we were there was awesome because 3 of the top DJ’s in Europe were at Fabric that night so the beats were unbelievable. The cool thing about Fabric is that it is open until 8am and we had every intention of partying until dawn, until 4am rolled around and we hit the brick wall.  The following day, we were all pretty tired, so Andrew, Drew, Bruce, Scott, and myself just went to Regents Park and kicked the football around for a bit, and then went to the pub to watch the second set of the cricket match between England and Australia.  With the exception of being sick on Wednesday, the following work week was great and flew by like always.  Before I knew it, Friday was knocking on the doorstep.

Sweet phots from one of the dance floors at Fabric

Sweet photo on one of the dance floors at Fabric

One of the many great views at Hampstead Heath

This past weekend was very relaxing for me.  The weather was horrid on Friday and Sunday so I spent a lot of time at Nido and worked on some things that I needed to complete, however, I still managed to have a great time.  On Thursday night, for our required cultural event, the EUSA students got tickets to Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliette at the Globe Theatre.  Of course, I came from work and was wearing my suit, we had standing tickets, and it was raining.  Needless to say, we all got pretty wet, which is probably the cause of my current ear-ache.  However, the play was really good, and I’m proud that I braved the harsh conditions and stayed for the entire thing (Mom, I know that you are so proud! Lol).  Following the play, Alexandra, her cute friend Paige, and myself walked around the south bank of the Thames for a while before calling it a night.

The following day, Ohio State’s EUSA program coordinator, Kristin Schrader was in London, so I coordinated a time for us students to meet up with her.  We had lunch in the artsy Covent Garden at this little cup cake place (not my doing) that seriously reminded me of the game Candy Land.  It was really creepy.  That day was also Jessica’s 21st birthday so the OSU kids and the California girls got tickets for this dinner/party cruise on the Thames to celebrate Jess’s birthday.  The cruise was a blast and the captain even let me drive the boat for a while (Which definitely wasn’t a good idea on his part).  After the cruise, I went to bed because I had plans to visit Hampstead Heath the following day.  Saturday was beautiful, and for the first time in I don’t know, maybe two weeks, there wasn’t a 50% chance of rain, so I took advantage of the weather.  Hampstead is a posh little area in northern London.  Everything is way too expensive for my liking; however Hampstead has probably the best wildlife area in all of southern England, Hampstead Heath.  The ‘Heath’ as it is known, is London’s largest ancient parkland with over 800 acres of wilderness.  All throughout the Heath, people were sun bathing, having picnics, playing football, and swimming in one of the many ponds.  The one thing that I really enjoyed about the Heath was the sense of privacy I felt while there.  The area I laid down to read/nap was in the middle of a grassy field.  It reminded me of being back in rural Ohio which was actually a comfortable feeling.  It was cool to feel this way while being in a city of 8 million people.  The Heath is the most elevated area in London, which was cool because you could see most of London’s major landmarks from atop the Heath.  On top of the hill, you could see St. Paul’s Cathedral, the Gerkin, the London Eye, the BT Tower, and Big Ben which were all over 10 miles away.  It was a pretty cool sight.  After spending the whole day in Hampstead and getting some much needed sun, I returned back home and had a relaxing evening.  Now, here I am, sipping on my Earl Grey, and feeling a sense of relaxation after having just completed this monstrosity of a blog.  Any more writing on my part and someone may start to think that I am actually enjoying this J.  Well, my dear friends, there you have it, the three week chronicle of events of my voyage in the UK.  I apologize for the longevity of this blog, however there was a lot that I needed to catch you guys up on, plus I was in the mood for writing.  I pray you all a wonderful week, and who knows, maybe there will be another blog from me this weekend, BUT, I wouldn’t hold my breath on it.  With that, I will leave you with a wise word from the greatest of all britons.  Cheers

“I would say to the House as I said to those who have joined this government: ‘I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears, and sweat….’ You ask, what is our aim? I can answer in one word: Victory. Victory at all costs — Victory in spite of all terror — Victory, however long and hard the road may be, for without victory there is no survival.”

- Winston Churchill

One Response to Marshal Getz in Jolly old England: Part V(f)

1. Heath says:

Its no wonder they call it Heath. It sounds awesome! lol