Marshal Getz in Jolly old England: Part V(c)

Note to Marshal’s Faithful Readers:  Marshal’s editor has taken his most recent post, Marshal Getz in Jolly old Enlgand: Part V, and divided it into six shorter posts that will be released as Part V(a) through Part V (f). This is the third installment.

Like I said earlier, so much has happened over the past 3 weeks that I really don’t know where to start.  Last time I wrote, I had just gone to the Harry Potter Premier, which was AWESOME!

Newton's Tomb at Westminster Abbey

Newton's Tomb at Westminster Abbey

The following week was more or less uneventful.  I usually work until 6:30-7:30pm and when I get off work, I’ll either walk around London or head back to NIDO to chill.  On Friday, July 10, I went and explored Westminster Abbey with Drew and Alexandra.  Westminster Abbey was absolutely beautiful.  When I entered the massive cathedral, I was literally speechless.  Westminster Abbey has been the symbol of England for almost 1000 years.  It was completed in 1065 by Edward the Confessor, who died a week after its completion, and every English monarch have had their coronation ceremony at the Abbey since William the Conqueror in 1066.  Inside the Abbey lie the final resting places of some of the greatest men and women to have ever lived.  Queen Elizabeth, Queen Mary I, Bloody Mary, Henry VII, Edward the Confessor, Edward I, Edward III, Richard II, Henry V, Edward V, James I, William III, and George II are among some of the monarchs who are buried in the Abbey.  Also buried in the Abbey are some of the greatest scientists, literary figures, and poets the world has ever known.  Sir Isaac Newton, Charles Darwin, Geoffrey Chaucer, Charles Dickens, T.S. Eliot, John Milton, Lawrence Olivier, Alexander Pope, Rudyard Kipling, William Blake, Alfred Lord Tennyson, and Gerard Hopkins are among some of the great men to have been buried at the Abbey.  Walking through the Abbey was like stepping back into time.  Newton’s tomb and Darwin’s grave were among two of my favourites.  Passing Newton’s massive tomb (which can be seen in the Da Vinci Code) took me back to the 17th century in a time

Inner Courtyard of Westminster Abbey

Inner Courtyard of Westminster Abbey

before the laws of gravitation and theory of motion were in place, and when the universe was still viewed as heliocentric.  It was only fitting that Charles Darwin, another great man who helped to shape human history was buried near Newton.   I also LOVED seeing Geoffrey Chaucer’s tomb.  I don’t think there is a single person on this planet who has not read or been effected by his masterpiece, the Canterbury Tales.  That along with Mallory’s La morte d’arthur are two of my favourite books of the English Language.  So much can be learned from these works of genius that I felt really honoured to be standing in front of Chaucer’s tomb.  Another thing that I really enjoyed at Westminster Abbey was King Edwards Chair.  Built in 1301, this chair has been the coronation chair of every monarch since the 14th century, and I thought it was amazing to see a 700 year old chair and the history ingrained in it.  Lastly, my favourite spot at Westminster Abbey was the Tomb of Good Queen Bess better known as Queen Elizabeth I.  The daughter of Queen Anne Boleyn and Henry VIII, Elizabeth was the 5th and last monarch of the Tudor dynasty; a dynasty that will live on as one of the greatest in English history.  Elizabeth I succeed her evil half sister Mary I who was Catholic.  Upon gaining the throne, Elizabeth turned England back to Protestantism which it has been ever since.  What is so cool about Elizabeth’s tomb is that her half sister Mary I is buried directly under her which is a symbol of the Protestant domination over the Catholic Church in England.  Being a Protestant, I thought that this was AWESOME, however, I guess if you were on the other team, it wouldn’t be so funny.

Stay tuned for Part V(d)