Advice for Internships

It took me awhile this week to figure out what I wanted to write about. I decided to give some advice, from my point of view, to students who are considering pursuing an internship. This past week I was invited up to the Cleveland office to take part in the interviewing process for next year’s interns. Myself and the other interns were given the opportunity to meet and greet the potential recruits and we spend time with each other for a majority of the day. Seeing corporate recruiting decisions and processes from this angle was an eye-opening experience.

If I could pick one point to stress over all the others, when it comes to interviewing, without a doubt: “Be Yourself!” Your grades will speak for themselves. The primary use of your grades is to get you in the door. From that point on, it is up to you to sell yourself. Once you make it to an office interview setting, those in charge will decide whether or not you are a good fit for the office. Being too quiet or shy and a lack of confidence are two popular complaints I have heard. However, the easiest way to guarantee you won’t be contacted again is to come in with an attitude and a lack of enthusiasm.

Once you have completed this stage, do yourself a favor and stay in touch with the employees you interviewed with. When interviewing so many other recruits it may be difficult to be memorable. Reaching out with an e-mail is a great way to make a difference and stand out against the rest of the candidates.

When it comes to career fairs and making these connections it never hurts to start early. As you make your rounds, don’t be one of those people that arrive with 50 résumés and are determined to hand out every single one by the end of the event. Making quality connections with a few recruiters is a much better option, as these relationships will be more memorable for them. The same advice goes for these events when it comes to staying in touch with the recruiters. A recruiter could potentially meet at least 50 or 100 possible recruits in a short time period. Reaching out to the recruiter immediately after the event is a great way to stand out again.

I have been fortunate enough to be involved with the recruiting process in numerous different forms. If anyone has any questions please feel free to comment or e-mail me at jvogel@cohenfund.com. If interested in Cohen & Company’s take on the interview process feel free to visit the following site http://cohencpa.jobs/.

One Response to Advice for Internships

1. Margie says:

Jake – great advice, especially about job fairs – they are, above everything, networking events and an opportunity to start to develop relationships with recruiters. A lot of students don’t get this and end up feeling disappointed (like when they still have 49 resumes left at the end of the event!)