Marshal Getz in Jolly old England: Part 4

Hey hey mates!  Again, I am terribly sorry for the week and a half delay from my last post until now.  I have been extremely busy.  I started work a little over a week ago, and lemme tell you, Time has Absolutely Flown by!!!  I’ve been working from 9am-7:30pm about every night, and when I get off, I usually want to do some exploring since London is one treasure trove of a city.  In return, I have gotten behind on some things, namely: the

Fisher blog, personal journal, and working out.  Definitely not good to get behind on the latter of those.  Anyways, the last time I updated my viewers, I had yet to start my internship at MASECO Financial (Correctly pronounced ma-say-co ).  I feel that the best format for this blog would be to describe my first days at MASECO, and follow up with descriptions of the adventures I partook in during my second week in the UK.  img_28831

My first week at MASECO was quite a positive experience.  Tomorrow (Wed’s) will mark my seventh day at MASECO, and I feel that my knowledge of everything has tripled in this short time.  People are 100% correct when they say that College education will only get you so far.  What you need more than anything is experience.  The employees at MASECO are Josh and James (founded the company in 2007), Harriet (is my age), Rory, Emilia, Yann, and Alex.  They are all relatively young with the oldest probably being 35.  Their youth makes work such a fun and entertaining place, yet they bust their butt everyday for their clients.

From my first day at MASECO until now, I have been a part of the team, and they never let me forget that.  They laugh and joke with me as they do with anyone else, I help in making the afternoon tea for everyone, I am included in the meetings and have been asked to participate in brainstorming ideas for the quarterly information sheet given to MASECO’s clients, and most importantly, everyone keeps me busy with work.  I know that some people here on the EUSA trip that I have talked to say that that are “Half- assin” the internship mainly due to the fact that this internship is not paid.  I was kind of taken back when they said that.

I came to London knowing that I was not going to get paid for this inimg_2790ternship, however, the experience and critical thinking skills that I will gain from this internship are worth more to me than getting paid, not to mention the fact that working in London will look amazing on my CV (resume).  Everyday last week, I was one of the last people in the office at the end of the day, and on Thursday I didn’t leave the office until 9pm.  Although not getting paid really stinks, I chose to do this and I have a duty to MASECO to work my best for them, and to learn as much as I can.

Some of my tasks up to date have been to run through all of MASECO’s 200+ clients and make a list of the information that is provided for each client on the computer.   Any information not present for a client is noted, and will then be up to me to look through all of the clients physical copies of the documents and find the ones missing.  It is really quite easy, and was my job for the first couple days.  Things have really been starting to pile up for me though.  As of today, my “To Do List” has about fifteen items on it that were added just this Monday and Tuesday.  In all honesty, I’m nervous but glad that I have those many things to do.  Being able to manage all of those tasks will teach me valuable time management skills, and it will be good for me to feel the pressure of completing those tasks.

In a few weeks, I am going to be in charge of setting up a connection between a U.S. based company and one of our asset holders (Raymond James, Credit Suisse, etc) but I won’t disclose which one due to privacy concerns.  The point is that Josh, James, and everyone else at MASECO have really put some trust in me to complete the given tasks, and though some of the tasks that I am given now may not seem important; in all reality they really are.  It is all geared to help me learn the system, gain confidence in all that I am completing, and to work as an independent person so I will be able to complete the tougher tasks in the future.

With the start of work last week and the fact that I worked until 7:30pm every night, I did not get to accomplish as much as I has hoped for in terms of exploring the city.  The first two nights, I walked around a little by MASECO’s office on New Fetter Lane and on Fleet Street.  I have gotten to see some really cool church’s this past week.  I stumbled upon the Temple Church one night which is located near New Fetter Lane This is the Church that is featured in The DaVinci Code movie and is an absolutely sweet church.  It was built by the Knights Templar (which I think is AWESOME!) around 1100AD.  Two Sunday’s ago, I went to the Sung Eucharist at St. Paul’s Cathedral.  This was my first time inside St Paul’s, and it was absolutely beautiful.  The ceiling inside is probably 200 feet high where the dome is, and it is all painted with stories of the life of the Apostle Paul.  This past Sunday, I went to the Evening Service at Westminster Abbey.  When I walked inside, I about fainted.  In Westminster Abbey, you are walking on top of and beside some of the greatest men and women in history.  Sir Isaac Newton, Queen Elizabeth I, Geoffrey Chaucer, Charles Dickens, T.S. Eliot, Alexander Pope, Shakespeare, and many more of the greatest authors, poets, and royals are buried in the Abbey.  Even if you only have the slightest interest in history, a trip to Westminster Abbey will surely “Wow” you.

Besides my trips to the holy sites, my friend Drew and I walked down Fleet Street one night and stopped at the “Old Bank of England”.  It was once the largest bank in the UK, but when it closed in the 1970′s, it was transformed into a pub.  However, although the pub was very Victorian and neat, what really got my attention was that the “Old Bank of England” pub sat directly on top of what was once Sweeney Todd’s Barbershop and Miss. Lovett’s pie shop.  Even more chilling was that the Vault for the bank was located in the basement which was the same place that Sweeney Todd put his victims before giving them to Miss Lovett for her DELICIOUS pies!  That was about all the excitement that I had for the work week, however, this past Saturday, which was also Independence Day, the Ohio State students here in London went to visit Windsor Castle.

Windsor Castle is located about 20 minutes outside London, and is the Largest inhabited castle in the world.  It is currently one of HM the Queen’s residences apart from Buckingham Palace.  In fact, Windsor is preferred over Buckingham Palace by the Queen because she spent so much of her time at Windsor Castle during the Second World War.  This love for Windsor Castle can also be seen by how the current monarch is called the “House of Windsor”.  Upon arriving to Windsor Castle, we happened across the “Changing of the Guard” which is supposedly better that Buckingham’s.   We then proceeded into the State Apartments of the castle which are where the Queen entertains her guests. These rooms are absolutely beautiful, and are decorated with finest furniture. Many of the ceilings are painted telling stories of Biblical characters, and tapestries hang from almost every wall. After viewing the State Apartments, I proceeded to visit St. George’s Chapel which is named after England’s Patron Saint. This chapel was built in 1348, and is the burial site for many of England’s famous monarchs. Buried here is possibly the most famous monarch to have ever ruled, King Henry VIII. Along with Henry, King George VI, the Queen Mother, the traitorous King Charles I, and Jane Seymour lay at rest in the chapel.

After our trip to Windsor Castle, my friend Andrew and I went to Battersea Park for an Independence Day celebration with other Americans in London. Though we arrived as the party was winding down, it was still a really good time being around other Americans on the most important date for our country.

My Sunday consisted of the Service at Westminster Abbey, watching Federer beat Roddick in an epic battle, exploring the Royal Parts of London, relaxing in St. James Park while listening to an Orchestra Band, and walking all the way down to the MI6 building!! Snooping around MI6 has been one of the biggest highlights for me. For any of you other James Bond fans out there, having the opportunity to walk around the outside of MI6 made me feel like James Bond for about a half hour. I highly recommend seeing it if you are a true Bond fan.

Another of my biggest highlights for the trip came today, as I went to the Harry PotterHarry Potter Premier and the Half Blood Prince World Premier in Leicester Square. It was so cool getting to see Harry (Dan Radcliffe), Hermione (Emma Watson), and Ron (Rupert Grint) up close. I’ve already received a bunch of hate mail from my friends back home expressing their jealousy of me, which I thought was kind of funny.

Anyways, It is 12:30am now, and I really need some sleep. I’m sorry that this blog ended up being so bloody long. I had the mindset coming in to writing this that I would take a half hour and nothing more, but ya, I’ve already been working on this for 2 hours tonight, so I missed my timeslot by a little. To all my readers out there, thank you so much for reading my blogs, and for all of the kind comments. They really mean a lot to me. Have a wonderful week, and I’ll pick back up right where I left off next week.

*P.S, Whats up BIG JOHN!! Miss you, B, and Tone!!

5 Responses to Marshal Getz in Jolly old England: Part 4

1. trudy hanna says:

Hey Marsh ~ I thoroughly enjoyed this blog and am so impressed and proud of how completely committed you are to making this time and experience count for much personally and professionally. Take care of yourself and keep writing; you definitely express yourself very well and prompted me to put England at the top of my list of future travel destinations. love to you, Aunt Trudy

2. Margie says:

Marshall – thanks for having such a great attitude about your internship – you will get so much more out of it because of what you put into it!
    Add me to the list of the envious people because you saw the HP World premier!! We have to wait another 8 days!!

3. Heath says:

Marshal, sounds like your having a blast. Hope the job is going well. All is well in Nawlins, hot, but no hurricanes yet. We went down to bourbon street last night and experienced the night life. It was pretty crazy. cant wait to see HP6. I see your already picking up the “bloody” language, you just better not have an accent when you come home. Anyways, Have fun at work this week.
    Talk to ya later,

Heath

4. Mark Wilson says:

Marshal – Where’s the pictures of the Harry Potter Opening Night?! Margie Bogenschutz is a huge Harry Potter fan and is jealous. I’m a little jealous too.

Mark W.

5. Liz says:

Marshal,
    Hey I finally read your blog. London sounds amazing and I’m so jealous!! It sounds like your getting a lot of sightseeing in over there and working hard! I think you should change your major and become an author…writing about your travels and experiences…they are quite entertaining and interesting to read! Have a great week ol’ chap! lol
    XoX
    -Liz