Vaishali’s First Week

Well hello dearest reader – so I had an exam at the last possible slot at OSU; 3:30pm on the Thursday of finals week, and I wanted to be on my way to Georgia sometime within 24-30 hours after I was out, so yea, it was an interesting end to a crazy busy quarter…

Packing up an apartment and moving away has never been my favorite thing to do, and it took longer than I anticipated, but oh well!  So after meeting everyone I wasn’t going to see for a while (also because I’m going to Italy for the fall right after my internship, so I may not see some friends for like 6 months straight!!) and packing up for a while, I grabbed dinner with my brother who was driving with me, and set out on an about 10 hour journey after the sun set.  And I made it to my new home for the summer in time for the sun rise!

It is a gorgeous place that took no place to feel like home… from white towels in my bathroom and a dining table set up with plates and wine glasses, there was no looking back.  I also have a Puerto Rican roommate who is also an intern, and I’m so glad I can practice my Spanish too!  We’ve shopped, cooked and hung out by the pool after work already, so that part of it has been wonderful.  We could choose to use the company’s help for housing as interns, which I did, and we pay for a part of it.

Well related to work – that’s been amazing too!!  Do you remember what welcome week was like here at THE Ohio State University? Well that’s what people here at work refer to OSU as… My first week and orientation (well on-boarding) was kind of like that – different trainings and introductions, and being introduced to my projects and networking with other interns across the country, especially the other logistics interns at the various plants.  Since I’m the last one to be on board (as we are on quarters and get out in June and not May) and we have a project that all of us logistics interns do collectively, so I’m catching up to that and trying to add as much as I can along with settling in…

I’ve met with the Plant Manager, a ton of HR people, Finance folks, Operations, Maintenance, IS, Engineering and then some (you name the group, and they had set up time for me to connect with the team leader)… ooh and I got to learn about sensory testing as well!  The plant I work at makes cereal and has two divisions, and I’ve only gotten a chance to tour one side – so I’ve seen how much goes into making sure you get your Cheerios in the morning; surely makes me appreciate my breakfast more after seeing how much goes into it!

The culture of my work location fosters learning and team work based on relationships, so a chunk of my first week (that flew by in all honesty) has been meeting all the people involved so that I can work on getting to know how it all comes together…  I have started getting a grasp on the basics and am meeting people that will facilitate the smooth progress of my projects.

Oh and we do have uniforms, and I do wear steel toed shoes when I walk through the plant, and I have that certain hat and eye protection and ear phones and all that goodness related to not working at a corporate office exactly!!

I shall share more details about my projects, and actually anything in particular you would like to hear more about… the people? the city? working at a plant?

Just let me know if you are looking for particular details…

6 Responses to Vaishali’s First Week

1. Margie says:

Vaishali – please post a picture of you in your uniform!!That would be fun to see!! Sounds like you are jumping right in!

2. Fred Hegele says:

Vaishali,
    I am an old Buckeye, retired from General Mills–and your note brings back many memories of a great Company and terrific people. I really appreciate the long and warm connection between OSU and General Mills–and I hope it is as good for you as I remember.

Enjoy!!!

Best,
    Fred

3. Vaishali Thirwani says:

I shall get a picture of myself in ASAP, promise!!

4. Tracie Petersen says:

Vaishali – Sounds like you are making the most of your experience! I’m a fellow Buckeye who also began my General Mills career as an intern and loved every minute of it. I am part of our OSU recruiting team, but didn’t make it back for interviews this past year. Best of luck at Covington and thanks for sharing your experiences!

5. catalina says:

Hola chica!! como estas?!!!!! TE EXTRANO!! como esta el verano??? visitame en Houston!!! Houston is really awesome!! I bet you are having so much fun too!!!! ENJOYING THE FROZEN LEMONADES? with this heat i am having them like A LOT!

6. Vaishali Thirwani says:

Fred – glad to hear that others got to enjoy what I am experiencing :)

Tracie – thanks for the luck; will connect with you soon!

Catalina – I think you will see a reply under your blog quicker than here..