Dimitar Popov @ Nestle USA

popov_dimitar_2

My name is Dimitar Popov and I just completed my junior year as a Logistics and Operations Management student.

My strange foreign name comes from Macedonia, a small country in Eastern Europe where I was born and raised. You might have heard of Alexander the Great, the victorious military commander that conquered most of the world… well, he was from Macedonia. Although back in Alexander’s age Macedonia was spread across continents, today, it is a tiny country no larger than West Virginia. I would encourage you to visit it, if you ever get the chance. It’s a place of timeless tradition, hospitable people, and an exceptional cuisine.

Ohrid, Macedonia

Ohrid, Macedonia

Approximately 8 years ago, my family migrated to the United States. We moved to Ohio and I attended high school in Beavercreek, a growing suburb of Dayton.

Then, it was time for college. I walked into college knowing that I wanted to major in business. My ultimate goal is to make a substantially positive impact in the world. In particular, I would like to help the people of underdeveloped countries, such as Macedonia. I believe that this can be done most effectively and realistically through business. This was the primary reason why I chose to go to business school. The second was that I fit the requirements. A great quote carved into a bench at Fisher states “Business is a combination of dancing and calculations” (and don’t hold me to this, I’m not sure if I’m quoting it 100% correctly) and I know I have a pretty good blend of both.

However, “Business,” by itself, is a pretty wide concept. Almost everything is related to business. Thus, although I knew I wanted to study Business, I struggled to choose a particular path within the business world.

Eventually, after many considerations, classes, experiences, and Major switches, by the end of sophomore year, I decided that Operations Management and Logistics is what I would be best at. I like these majors because although they are part of the business world, they are very similar to the technical and analytical aspects of Engineering and Economics. Additionally, as someone who truly has an interest in multiple areas of the business, Operations and Logistics allow for cross-functional work with all departments within a company.

I’ve had the greatest time throughout my college career at Fisher. I’ve stayed busy and involved with many clubs and organizations and have continued to challenge myself with rigorous classes. This year I was a part of the Honors Cohort program, a life-changing experience, and I recently joined The Logistics Association as the new Vice President of Marketing.

Nestle USA Headquarters in Glendale, CA

Nestle USA Headquarters in Glendale, CA

This summer, I am interning for Nestle USA in their headquarters located in Glendale, California. I am a Logistics Intern working in the Beverage Division, which manages many popular brands including Nesquik, Nescafe, Ovaltine, Juicy Juice, and Coffee Mate.

I started working two days ago and I hit the ground running. So far it’s been great. I’ve got 6 main projects that I will be completing through the summer. Stay tuned for my next post which will talk about my on-boarding experience at Nestle.

4 Responses to Dimitar Popov @ Nestle USA

1. Mark Wilson says:

Dimitar – Thanks for making sure the Juicy Juice juice boxes make it to Ohio. My kids drink them by the truck load!

2. Ilene says:

more ovaltine, please!

california is lucky to have you!

3. Vaishali Thirwani says:

How warm has it gotten there yet?
    Hope you are having a blast :))

4. Gold Bullion says:

Nice Article ! I love getting blog information, as I like to reference them to research papers in college, well summer school now. I found a cool research price site to use for my finance paper on gold coins and how the cities have gold ira accounts to use to help out colleges, but do not.