Catalina Lizarralde interning @ The Dow Chemical Company

Hola everybody! My name is Catalina Lizarralde and I am a international student from Ecuador that has been living in the US for 19 months. I must start by saying that if something in my grammar sounds a little wrong, it probably is… but please bear with me… just imagine I am talking with an accent :). Anyway, I am a junior and currently I am part of the Honors Cohort program here at fisher. Hopefully, I will be graduating in the spring of 2010 with majors in Logistics Management and Operations. I decided to come to Ohio State because of its high ranks in these fields, and so far my experience has been fabulous. I must accept though that I am not a fan of the winter or the sudden weeks of crazy weather. In the flip side, I love the crazy scarlet and grey obsession and I proudly call myself a buckeye…even though I don’t undin the beacherstand how a nut can be a mascot or the fact that “buckeye” means nothing in Spanish… oh well that is another story.

Ohio State has been quite a journey of emotions, experiences and memories that have made a stronger human being. I have been able to meet people (professionals, professors and peers) that have influenced me in infinite ways and I just rejoice when I realize how valuable this ride has been for me.

A little bit more about me. I was raised in Quito, capital of Ecuador but I am Colombian… After high school I studied music performance and German in SalzbuSome of the family membersrg- Austria and after that, I backpacked all Europe in a couple of months. Also, growing up I participated in United Nations, program that took me to many different places around the world. With my parents, I have gotten the opportunity to travel as well and all the interesting experiences I lived in each unique place make me become passionate about traveling and experiencing new places. Besides that, I love to dance, sing, play soccer, chill in the country house, interact with different people of ages and spend lots of time with my family and friends. Pretty sweet random fact? Back home, my dad has an ice-cream factory and yes, I was the luckiest girl in the world….  I got to make my own creation. Also, I am addicted to soccer and In 2006 I experience some of the best days of my life while I was in the World Cup in Germany!!! Finally, I am the youngest of three sisters and I am a proud With my friends in the country house!aunt of three gorgeous little girls and a little boy that takes care of me from heaven.

This summer I will be interning with Dow Chemicals in their brand new business center in Houston Texas! I am really exited because I will not be only working with an industry leader, but specifically with their supply chain analyst improvement team which professionally passionate me. Everybody tells me Texas is a different country and that probably I am no longer going to be international one…that is pretty awesome. I think is fascinating I get to experience a different American life style. As soon as I get there, I will let you all know how it goes.

What can I say, I am a pretty lucky person with a life full of exiting anecdotes… and I have a feeling this summer is not going to be the exception.. so, stay tuned!
World Cup 2006!

6 Responses to Catalina Lizarralde interning @ The Dow Chemical Company

1. Dimitar says:

Lol, “Buckeye means nothing in Spanish.” I bet it sucks to explain the big deal behind Buckeyes to your parents and family in Ecuador…
    P.S. – this marks my first comment on this blog

2. Allie says:

Catalina,

You certainly have a unique background! I myself and from Russia, but my family moved to America when I was four years old so I didn’t get to fully immerse myself in my native culture. I still speak Russian and took many years of Spanish, but unfortunately stopped taking language classes during my first year at Ohio State. I’d love to learn more about Ecuador because there is a study abroad program there that I am super interested in.

Looking forward to you next post!

P.S. What was the craziest ice cream flavor you ever made in the factory?

3. Vaishali Thirwani says:

Catalina – so I got some of that frozen lemonade stuff that you love, and every time I have some I remember you!

Hope things are going wonderfully well with you in Texas :)

4. Rebecca says:

Me encantan tus fotos de tu familia!!!! Les extrano y te extrano! Espero que toda esta bien en Texas. Chau chau chica :)

5. Samuel Sarmiento says:

Interesting post, Catalina. I’m also from Ecuador, currently preparing for the exams required for a medical residency in the US.

I hope everything is going well in Texas. Have fun!

Sam
    samueloyd51@hotmail.com

6. Eugenia Salas says:

Hi Cata!!!
    It’s really true what you wrote here…
    What Can I say??? Congratulations, this victory is yours
    I wish you all the best!
    And you are graduating! I am very proud of you!
    Te quiero mucho amiga del alma!!! Estas siempre en mi corazon!
    Eugenia from Argentina.