Preparing for the CPA Exam Requirements

As the Spring semester started, I have began to research and prepare for the CPA exam requirements. Looking through the requirements can be a daunting process. However, I decided to take it step-by-step and to ask my friends for their advice.

From my initial research, I have gathered a few tips for individuals starting their CPA process.  Keep these in mind when you start the process yourself!

1. Check the NASBA website

The National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA) will list all the requirements for a CPA license in each state. I started to take notes on specific eligibility requirements regarding credit hours, transcript submissions, and materials needed to be submitted for the application. For the state of Ohio, I will be required to submit my college transcripts, which provide details of my GPA and credit hours with business and accounting courses.

1. Understand the Exam Blueprints – AICPA Website

The American Institutes of CPAs publishes exam blueprints that guide individuals on understanding the format and sections of the CPA exam. The CPA exam consists of four sections (each four hours long). These sections include Auditing and Attestation (AUD), Business Environment and Concepts (BEC), Financial Accounting and Reporting (FAR)m and Regulation (REG). Each of these exams consists of multiple-choice questions, task-based simulations, and potential written responses. The blueprints are a great starting in understanding the format, content allocation, skills allocations, and exams' organization.

1. Asking peers and academic advisors

I started gathered tips and advice from my peers who have already started their process or recently passed the exam. Their advice helped me understand the application process timeline and when to start applying. Due to COVID-19, the time between applying and waiting for your Notice To Schedule has changed. Therefore, I recommend giving yourself an ample amount of time and understanding your state's timeline.

These are just a few starting points that might help in beginning your CPA journey. I would recommend asking for help and preparing in advance for the process!