Being Sporty

Ohio State intramural team

In one of my prior blog posts, I mentioned several ways to stay fit on campus. In this blog post, I am going to reflect with you all how I took advantage of intramural sports at Ohio State this fall semester.

The registration for intramural sports comes around early on during the fall and spring semesters, and often you can miss the registration if you are still getting adjusted to the groove of school. If you have an interest in playing intramural sports at Ohio State, you should make sure to gather some friends at the beginning of the semester and look for emails from Rec Sports at Ohio State. Playing intramural sports is a great way to de-stress. It only costs $80 for a team to register, and you get to play around 3-5 games per season – the length of season is contingent on whether there are playoffs and whether your teams advances into the playoffs. When you go to register your team, make sure you have discussed with your teammates what times they are available to play and what location they prefer to play at. Note that some areas will require your team to drive to or take a campus bus.

My Rec Volleyball Team

This past semester I played on two teams: co-rec beach volleyball and soccer. I played volleyball games at 10 PM on Sunday nights in Fred Beekman Park. The volleyball rules required that we played with two guys and two girls. At first, I was hesitant about playing so late on Sunday nights, but I had a blast de-stressing, laughing, and spending time with my friends week after week. None of us had ever played organized volleyball before; thus, we got some good laughs out of our lack of experience.

The second team I played on was a co-rec soccer team with accounting friends. In high school, I played soccer, leading to my desire to want to play recreationally in college. The rules for rec- soccer allowed us to have three guys and three girls on the field plus a goalie. My team and I played every Thursday at the Praire, and I promise you we had some of the best times every single Thursday, whether we lost or lost (yes, we lost every single game).

I would highly recommend making the most of your time while at Ohio State and get involved with whatever you feel most passionate about!