The Business of College Sports

I wanted to zoom in on one of my previous blog posts, More than an HR Degree, where I discussed the variety of elective opportunities through the MHRM program. For the fall semester, I am enrolled in a three-credit elective “The Business of College Sports”. As we all know athletics is huge at Ohio State and we are lucky enough to have the course taught by non other than the athletic director of Ohio State, Gene Smith, and his wife Shelia Smith. The objective of this class is to provide a business analysis of the conduct of intercollegiate athletics, in all facets, including an in-depth look at The Ohio State University athletic program, the nation’s largest in terms of number of sports, coaches, student-athletes, and overall budget.

On the field at Ohio Stadium!

Each class features a guest speaker from a department that directly works with or supports the operation of athletics. Throughout our class sessions thus far we have been given a tour of Ohio Stadium had an insight look at Finance, Ticketing, and Affinity and Trademark Management. At the end of the course, students get to apply what they’ve learned and present a recommendation of how Ohio State can improve intercollegiate athletics.

Being in a course like this allows me to take a step out of HR, connect with students outside of my program, and gain exposure to a topic I otherwise wouldn’t have had the opportunity to.