Buckeyethon!

Buckeyethon is one of The Ohio State University‘s signature events each school year.  This 24-hour dance marathon is a fundraiser for children being treated in the Hematology/Oncology/BMT Unit at Nationwide Children’s Hospital in Columbus, Ohio.  This year, Ohio State students raised $1,704,184.19 for the kids!

As a participant in Buckeyethon for the first time, I was amazed at how many Ohio State students selflessly sacrifice their time to fundraise money and dance for twelve hours on the weekend in order to promote awareness for childhood cancer.  My shift was the “Scarlet Shift” which ran from Friday at 7 P.M. to Saturday at 7 A.M.  My friends and I were placed on the green team.  Each color team had seemingly more than 100 members and had kids from the hospital to celebrate and dance with.

Members of the Green Team

There was more to do than just dance – I played dodgeball, mini-golf, “Gaga ball” and caught up with friends I had not seen in a while at the dance marathon.  My favorite part of the night was the 3 a.m. rave, where all of the students got together to dance under neon flashing lights in the Union Ballroom.

Buckeyethon 3 a.m. Rave

Overall, Buckeython was an amazing experience and I am so glad I made the commitment to doing it back in the fall.  I would recommend every OSU undergraduate or graduate student to take part in this event, as it is truly a great time and raises money for an outstanding cause.

Buckeyethon Kids Dancing on Stage

Author: Matthew Steffan

Matt Steffan is a fourth year combined BSBA/MAcc student at The Ohio State University. Matt is from Buffalo, New York and will be working for Microsoft upon graduation.