My Spring Semester Classes

And just like that, we are already half way through our tenure as MAcc students here at the Max M. Fisher College of Business! After a long and relaxing winter break, I was excited to return to Columbus and reunite with my new friends and fellow classmates in the MAcc program. This semester, our schedules are completely made up of electives, and I am especially excited for three that I am enrolled in.

Visiting family in Chicago over break!

1. Fraud Examination and Misappropriation of Assets

I chose to take this elective because I knew it would relate to Audit, which is the service line I will be starting my career in. Little did I know it would already, just one week in, be my (and many of my classmates) favorite course. The course is taught by the chief risk officer for The Ohio State University who brings a unique perspective to the classroom. As part of the course, the professor brings in felons to openly discuss their past fraudulent activities.

2. Crucial Conversations

This course is one of the few electives that is a full semester (instead of a seven-week session). During this course, we have the opportunity of learning from an experienced businessman how to properly navigate crucial conversations in work and in life. This class will give us the tools necessary to successfully engage in conversations that we will encounter in our future careers.

3. Negotiations

Similar to Crucial Conversations, Negotiations is also a full semester course that teaches us tools that we will be able to utilize in all aspects of our lives. In this course, we actively engage in a negotiation once a week and learn skills that build upon themselves to strengthen our ability to successfully negotiate. I am looking forward to understanding the different components of negotiation and learning best practices through repetition.

Author: Audrey Farber

Undergrad institution: University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign Undergrad Major: Accountancy Previous Employer: Deloitte Job Title: Audit Intern