Why I Enjoy What I Do

This year, I have had the unique opportunity to be a graduate administrative assistant (GAA) and act as a student ambassador for the Master of Accounting (MAcc) program at Ohio State. My role as a student ambassador is simple; I assist with prospective student visits, answer questions about the MAcc program, and assist the graduate programs office in any way needed. All right, it is a bit more complicated than that, but you get the point.

When I was offered this position a year ago, everyone told me how awesome it was– especially since there is a lot of free food (which sold me on the role instantaneously). However, after one semester, I realized something: all the stuff that I listed above is great and fun, but that is not truly why I enjoy this role.

I love my job not because of the work I do, but because of the people I meet. Students come to me on a daily basis asking for advice on a variety of topics: about keys to doing well in undergrad to get into the MAcc program, how to get a job/internship, and just life in general.  This is what professionals call “mentoring.” I love to mentor others! The best part about mentoring is not giving the advice, but it is when students come back to me a few months later and tell me they got that job they were working hard towards or they got into the MAcc program. When people share their success with me, that is what makes me happy and gets me juiced up in the morning. That is the best part of mentoring. Seeing the smile on someone’s face and knowing that you played some role in that.

If you told me a few years ago that I would enjoy mentoring others, I probably would have laughed it off. However, this role as a GAA opened my eyes to the impact I can have on others. Upon graduation and entering the workforce, I will continue to mentor others and form connections. I want to have an impact on the world beyond myself. So next time when you go to someone for advice on getting that job, let him or her know how it worked out because that truly will make their day ten times better.