Slow Cooker Sundays

I’m here to talk to you about one of the most important things I’ve learned in grad school: how to feed myself.  Now, to you, this may seem like something that a self respecting 23-year-old man should know how to do and you would be right.  However, I was fortunate enough to have access to a meal plan during my undergrad years and before I knew it, here I was in Columbus, hungry and alone.

At first, I followed my natural instinct and purchased pizza for every meal (this also happened last week – I’m a work in progress, okay?!), but as a self-respecting finance student, I realized that this is not the most cost-effective solution.  Plus, that much pizza is really not healthy for anyone.  The next phase in my culinary evolution was to just make sandwiches for every meal.  There are definitely some pros to this solution (namely simplicity and cheapness), but there are also some cons (namely sad taste buds).  Finally, I accepted the fact that I had been avoiding all along: I was going to have to learn how to cook.

While I wanted to learn how to cook, I still wanted to prepare food in the easiest way possible and a very real concern for me was that I didn’t have the time to cook a meal every single night between work and school.  Because of that, I felt like I would need to try meal prepping and once I made that realization, everything just fell into place (looking back, you can really see how destiny was guiding me the whole way).  All this time, there had been a hidden gem tucked away under the sink in my kitchen: the slow cooker I had been given for graduation.

My very first creation, shredded chicken adobo on rice

I attempted my very first slow cooker recipe the next Sunday, and just like that, a tradition was born – Slow Cooker Sundays™.  It was clear from my very first meal that I was a natural. A slow cooker savant if you will.

Disclaimer – not all food items in this picture were prepared with a slow cooker

I won’t lie and say that I haven’t stubbed my toe along the way with some not stellar outcomes (it was always the recipe’s fault), and I haven’t slow cooked every single Sunday, either. But what I am proud to tell you is that I am now capable of preparing a real meal, cooked low and slow.

If my post has inspired you, please post a picture of your slow cooker today!

1 thought on “Slow Cooker Sundays”