Fisher Follies = GOAT (Greatest Organization of All Time)

Confession: I didn’t join any clubs in undergrad.

I recall, as a bright-eyed high school senior on my OSU campus tour, two distinct things about my tour guide:

1. His advice to “get involved in extracurricular activities!”
  2. His incredible skill at walking backward.

Hearing his advice, I made a commitment to do something productive with all this free time I was sure to have as a college freshman. And then it never happened. Partly because I didn’t know what organizations existed, and partly because my priorities were work, studying, and self-care (a.k.a. watching Grey’s Anatomy reruns in bed).

How does anyone find the time???

This is something I regret from the five years I spent in undergrad—not serving the Ohio State community in some larger way.

Fortunately, grad school gave me a second chance to fulfill this dream. I have many passions—this is typically the problem—and so I sometimes struggle with where to channel all this energy. And admittedly, the result of this is often indecisiveness. But I was determined to find an organization that gave me a sense of purpose and of which I genuinely enjoy being a part.

Well, call it a happy accident or call it destiny: I ended up in Fisher Follies with the goofiest group of dudes around.

At its core, Fisher Follies is a charitable student organization. The mission of the organization is ultimately to support Fisher graduate students in unexpected times of financial crisis. Through a variety of different events, Fisher Follies raises money for the Fisher Follies Fund. When Fisher students are in need (of a plane ticket home to visit a sick relative, help making a car repair payment, an unexpected medical bill– as a few examples), they can apply for funds to help defer some or all of the cost.

Well, where does the money come from?

– you ask

I guess we clean up pretty nice.

Every fall, Fisher Follies hosts an auction where Fisher graduate students and faculty get all gussied up and head over to the Blackwell Hotel to bid on some silly and some serious items. Each year there are some hot-ticket items like MBA Program Director Shashi Matta’s “California Dreamin’” networking trip to Silicon Valley and some smaller (but dare I say priceless?) items that students donate like shotgun-shooting lessons, a double date with Fisher’s most popular couple, the opportunity to “pie” a Michigan fan in the face, or the power to control one unnamed Fisher student’s Tinder account for an entire day. It’s an event where Fisher faculty, staff, and students donate and bid on each other’s items in the name of raising money to support the Fisher community.

Fisher Follies resident auctioneer Joe Boreman driving up bids and pointing dramatically into the crowd.
Silent Auction bidding wars are not for the faint of heart.

Other events throughout the year include the Fisher Variety Show in the spring, where Fisher students dream up skits and videos to poke fun at each other and business school. My personal favorites include The Art of the Handraise (linked below) and an artful Beatles parody Shashi Matta’s Lonely Hearts Club Band.

Fisher Follies is also putting on a Murder Mystery Dinner Theater this year (OoooOOOoohhh)– more to come on that later.

Fisher College of Business has a variety of student groups, clubs, and organizations to join to suit nearly every passion. They also give us the opportunity to stretch our leadership muscles by serving on the committees of these organizations throughout our time here. I feel personally connected to the mission of Fisher Follies and love that it pairs such a meaningful cause with the lightness of fun and funny events to keep spirits high here on campus. It reminds us that in spite of the stress of school, exams, job searching, and other commitments, we’re all here to support each other, and that’s what matters most.