My First Ohio State Football Game

I recently attended my very first Ohio State football game.  I have been a fan of college football for a very long time, and attending a game at Ohio Stadium has always been on my bucket list.  Because of this, when I enrolled in the SMF program, I knew I had to get season tickets.  In addition to my love for college football, I was really excited to be exposed to some of the traditions and pageantry associated with my new school, especially since football is so heavily ingrained in the culture of the university.

As a loyal Oklahoma State alum, I was extremely excited to watch Ohio State play the University of Oklahoma in football.  Rooting against my old school’s arch-rival was the perfect transition into Ohio State fandom, and I was extremely confident that I would finally get to watch “OSU” beat Oklahoma.  Unfortunately, anyone familiar with the Bedlam football series knows that Oklahoma is very accustomed to beating up on schools that go by the acronym OSU.  I’m sad to say that it was business as usual for Oklahoma, but while the game didn’t turn out how the home fans wanted, it was still a great all-around experience.

I had to wash my hands after touching the OU shirts.

Some of my friends from Oklahoma made the drive up for the game and stayed with me for the weekend.  We all did our best to get the full game-day experience at our first Ohio State football game.  Before game time, we stopped in at Varsity Club which was bursting at the seams with people.  After making our way out of the hubbub at Varsity Club and before heading to the stadium, we made sure to go take in a very unique tradition, “Skull Session.”   Skull Session was really cool and probably my favorite new tradition that I observed during the course of the day.  Overall, the atmosphere at the game was electric and it’s pretty tough to beat taking in a game with 109,000 other people.  I highly recommend an Ohio State football game to anyone who hasn’t been, and here’s hoping the Buckeyes get back on track in the weeks to come.