New City, New School, New Adventures

Hello, everyone! My name is Caitlin Duke, and I graduated with my B.B.A. in accounting from East Tennessee State University. I’ve lived in the mountains of East Tennessee my whole life. But six weeks ago, I packed up everything I own and made the six-hour drive to Columbus. It’s been a bit of an adjustment, to say the least.

My beautiful mountains in Tennessee

Many people have asked me why I chose Ohio State when it would be much easier to go somewhere closer to home. After all, Columbus is about thirty times the size of my hometown and OSU is four time the size of ETSU. The easiest answer to that question is, “Why not?”

I’ve lived in the same place for 22 years. If there was ever a time to take a risk and move, it’s now. The MAcc program offers countless opportunities. This year is especially exciting as students have the chance to take classes in data analytics. It’s challenging, frustrating– and one of the coolest things I’ve ever attempted to learn. I’m more engaged with my education than ever before.

There is also a heavy recruitment schedule, including the Big 4 and other large, national firms. I would not even be on the radar of many of these firms if I had chosen to go to school closer to home. There is a wonderful team in the Office of Career Management who will work with you to find a job to fit your goals. And everyone here understands how difficult it is to start a new program and search for a job, so there’s tons of support.

I have no regrets about taking a chance and applying to a school so far from home. To anyone out there wondering if it’s worth it, yes. Just look at the people in my class: from Texas, Tennessee, North Carolina, China, and more. If we can survive the transition, so can you.