The Final Stretch

As our final semester of the MAcc program begins, I find myself very excited for many of the classes I am taking. The spring semester allows students more flexibility for electives because there is only one core class that takes place in the spring, and the rest of your schedule is up to you.

The only core class is Accounting and Professional Research taught by the Director of the MAcc. This class involves reading research papers and in class discussions to better understand the landscape of accounting and finance research. I enjoy it so far, but it is definitely a lot of reading.

For electives this semester, I signed up for many accounting and finance courses. I am taking two fraud courses, one taught by the Chief Risk Officer at Ohio State and the other is taught by our Auditing professor from last semester. Both of these classes are very interesting and provide good insight for me as someone who is entering the audit field after graduation. I am also taking a financial modeling course that meets only once a week. I know Excel is going to be used for the rest of my life so I wanted to make sure I brush up on my skills before graduating. Next session, I will be taking Accounting for Mergers & Acquisitions, Government and Non-Profit accounting, Investments 1 and Private Equity.

No Fraud

The last class I am taking this semester is Negotiations. A classmate, Sam, recommended it to me and I absolutely love it so far. You learn the essentials to negotiating and actually practice negotiations in class. I did not do well on my first negotiation, but I am looking forward to learning a lot from this class and having a nice change of pace from my accounting and finance-heavy schedule.

I am very excited for my last semester of school. I am nervous about joining the real world, but I am set on learning as much as possible this semester and making sure I enjoy the time I have left at Ohio State.

Author: Caleb Gruenbaum

Student Ambassador for the MAcc. Combined BSBA/MAcc student.