Dylan Goes Electric

When it comes to classroom technology, I’ve always been a bit of a traditionalist, cipherin’ with my slate and chalk.

Ok, maybe not that traditional.

For those who don't understand the reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_Dylan_controversy
The story behind the obscure pop culture reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_Dylan_controversy

I have, however, always preferred a good old-fashioned pen and notebook, foregoing the laptop system favored by many of my classmates during my undergraduate career. In my opinion, handwritten notes are considerably more effective for capturing the graphs, illustrations, and charts so common in a business curriculum, which is why all my attempts to computerize my note taking have usually been short-lived.

But as an admitted neatnik, I have always admired certain elements of a digital system, namely its ability to keep all materials in one place, eliminate stray papers which are easily misplaced, and even replace cumbersome textbooks. I recently became the owner of an Apple Pencil and decided to give the electronic world one more try—it has only been two weeks, but things are going better that I could have ever hoped.

The Apple Pencil is a simple, but very effective tool. I was very impressed by how natural and accurate it feels to write with it on my iPad.  In fact, my handwriting was not adversely impacted at all (though it admittedly was bad to begin with).

Pencil and iPad
The notebook of the 21st century?

The real power of this tablet/pencil system is the ability to replace my need for textbooks, notebooks, binders, and printing all with one 9.7 inch device. Using a note-taking app called Notability alongside GoogleDrive, the Canvas (Carmen) app, and the Harvard Publishing app, I am able to import electronic textbooks, PDF articles, PowerPoint presentations, and more into Notability, where I can organize them into folders and virtual “tabs”, and then draw notes directly on the screen (including multiple colors, highlight styles, even typed text boxes).  This system has freed me from heavy backpacks, trips to my locker, time in the computer lab printing, and the fear of being unprepared for class, since all of my materials I could ever need are with me at all times.

A look inside the Notability app.
A look inside the Notability app.

It is still quite early in the semester to declare full victory, but I am cautiously optimistic that this new system is here to say. I think this implementation of technology will also help me as a professional, where I will be expected to be prepared, agile, and up-to-date with technology.  I am getting good practice now in integrating technology into my life, so I will be better prepared as I head off to my summer internship and beyond.

3 thoughts on “Dylan Goes Electric”

1. Hi

I am Katherine and I am a prospective MBA student at Fisher college of Business. I read your post – How did I get here?. It really gave me a wonderful and exciting feeling about the program. I really would like to know more about the full time MBA program. I was hoping you could tell me. Thanks a lot

2. Hi!

My name is Masada Thomas. Just got accepted into the MHRM program but I really love it post. I am struggling leaving behind my handwritten notes but this sound like a great idea. Thank you!