Fun in the MAcc

One of my favorite things about the MAcc program here at Ohio state is how social and friendly everyone is. While we see our classmates every day in class, it is great to get to know each other outside of class. Our MAcc Council has done a great job coordinating social events for us to go to so we can get to know our classmates better. Some of my favorite MAcc social events have been the Fisher scavenger hunt, the Fisher Graduate Programs Halloween party, and tailgating for the Michigan game.

A few weeks ago, the Fisher graduate programs put on a scavenger hunt to help students learn more about Ohio State and get to know the campus a little better. Items on the scavenger hunt ranged from finding a buckeye on the ground (A “buckeye” is a plant!), to jumping into Mirror Lake. My team was made up of several people I was already close with, but I also had a few people on my team who I was very lucky to get to know during this event and who are friends now. During the scavenger hunt, we visited places that in my four years at Ohio State I had never seen before. While the Fisher College of Business is self-sustaining and you are not required to leave this part of campus, there is much more to explore, and this scavenger hunt gave everyone the opportunity to explore campus more.

Challenge: your team must climb a tree
Challenge: your team must climb a tree

For Halloween, the Fisher Graduate Programs decided to have a Halloween party for all of the graduate students. The VIP space of Big Bar was rented out and we had about 100 graduate students at this event, including many MAcc students, SMF students, MBA students, and MHRM students.  This was a great event that allowed us to mingle with the other programs as well as getting to know our own classmates better. It was also fun to see all of the creative costumes people thought of, such as Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton, a Tyrannosaurus Rex costume, and several Bananas.

This past weekend, when our football team faced off with the University of Michigan (ew), one of our classmates hosted an early morning tailgate. Since the game started at noon, we began tailgating before 9 am. We had breakfast for everyone to enjoy, and drinks for those getting ready to go to the game. This event allowed some of the students who did not fully understand the rivalry with Michigan to get a feel for how important it is to most students who study here.

Some of my classmates at the Tailgate before

While classes are important and we are here most importantly for school, it is awesome that our MAcc program has gotten so close in just one semester. I’ve made more friends in this program than I ever thought I would, and the social events that the people within the MAcc are able to put on helps contribute to the closeness of the program.

Author: Caleb Gruenbaum

Student Ambassador for the MAcc. Combined BSBA/MAcc student.