Taking a Break during my Busy SMF Schedule

“A career fair last week, 3 case discussions this week, 2 mid-term exams  on Monday next week, and FINAL exams two weeks after that.” That’s how I describe my SMF life to my friend. Later, my classmates remind me that we also have one presentation and one case brief due next week.

This is not just busy. It is CRAZYYYYYY!!!!!

But the good news is that the director of our program, Professor Pinteris, adjusts the schedule after our classmates talk to him about this– which is super sweet. (After all, we can’t miss the big game between OSU vs. Oklahoma this weekend!!! GO BUCKS!!!)

GO BUCKS!!! & BEAT OKLAHOMA!!!
GO BUCKS!!! & BEAT OKLAHOMA!!!

Having a busy schedule doesn’t mean that we cannot have some fun!

On weekends, our class usually gathers for dinner and drinks together. We have tried one Chinese restaurant, one Indian and two Mexican so far. In terms of bars, I have no clue because I cannot handle alcohol (I have no intention of fighting against my genes). But if you are a fan of drinks, there are many decent bars in town. You can definitely get what you want here!

SMF dinner
SMF Weekend Dinner

Also, some of my classmates signed up for a soccer team and had a game on Tuesday. Sun, breeze, birds, and a soccer game for that afternoon–relaxing and beautiful!

SMF Soccer Team
SMF Soccer Team
Birds
Birds
Sun
Sun

But as I told you before, it was a busy week for SMF student. As I result, I headed back to Fisher before the game ended because I had to go to my next scheduled event — a group meeting for our project!

My team is awesome. Everyone contributes and teaches each other. My favorite part is that we do our project literally together, not just write sections separately and collect the pieces later. After every group assignment and meeting, we learn way more than we expected. I enjoy our days and nights together.

The life of SMF candidates is busy, but we have the support and help from each other. And all the things we do in the program prepare us to change from a student to a professional. We can actually see the alteration from time to time. It is amazing that some of our classmates now sound like investment bankers or financial analysts in class discussions!

10 PM at Gerlach Hall
10 PM at Gerlach Hall

Author: Gloria Cen

I was born & raised in the great city of Shanghai. In the fall of 2015, I decided to take an adventurous journey to the buckeye state to pursue a master degree in finance. & Here I am. GO BUCKS!!!